Chapter 1

There are many things that make women different from men.  Other than the physical nature of men and women, there is a complete difference between their emotional and mental nature.  In the book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston agrees.  In the beginning paragraphs of this book, she explains how a man's life is "mocked to death by Time."  She describes how every man has a dream, and how for some they come true, while for others they don't.  For some men, it is not so easy, they have to pursue their dream which can take an entire lifetime, and still end up to be unachieved.

"For some they come in with the tide.  For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time."

When Zora Neale Hurston wrote this, she conveyed her view about the life of men.  She believes that men can only get lucky to achieve their lifelong dreams and that the truth of the matter is, men would not be able to achieve it any other way.

"Now women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget.  The dream is the truth  Then they act and do things accordingly."

On the other hand, Hurston believes that women are more realistic.  They would not just wait for an opportunity.  But rather do things that would help them attain their goals.

I disagree with the opinion of Zora Neale Hurston because achieving dreams are not judged by gender, it is about the character.  No matter who the person is, they should be able to achieve their dreams. Women also sometimes sit and wait for something to happen.  Not all men relate to her opinion and not all women relate to her opinion.

In the last sentence of Chapter 3, Hurston is conveying the message that marriage does not lead to love.  Love is more of an experience, that cannot be influenced through anything such as marriage.  Hurston also shows us that Janie has not become a more experienced woman and would likely not fall into the same mistake twice.