chapter 7,8,9 of "Their eyes are watching god "

Submitted by ndaza on Mon, 2011-05-09 20:30

So my guess was right Janie made another mistake in her life for thinking love was just at first sight. Joe and Janie are not happy at all She was too young to believe that a stranger would ever give her love. To me you have to get to know the person before deciding that their going to spend life together. Yet my prediction was right all of what seemed good and happy turned out to be horrible. Janie just went along with her feelings and especially since she was just a young girl and now looks old just because of all her misery with joe/jody.

“You ain’t no young courtin’ gal. You’se uh ole woman, nearly forty.” This is what joe/jody said to Janie. To me this quote just shows that Joe doesn't see Jnaie as he use too. He now doesn't want her just because Jnaie think s she is still young. Yet janie doesn't want to recognize it she is just tierd of her and jody. Yet this time Jnaie is older and can now make her own desicions. Though i know Janie might make the same mistake she is now old and if she wants to escape she can because nothing is restricting her from doing so.

The author Zora Hurston wants us to think that Janie needs a back bone and needs to stop thinking that every thing is all magical and nothing can go wrong. To me this goes back to what Zora Hurston thought the difference of men and women and there reality towards their fantasy. Well to me Janie is in a fantasy because she just goes for what she thinks is going to be all fine. Yet she doesn't take the time to plan out her reality.

Interesting!

Submitted by CFlores on Tue, 2011-05-10 08:34.

Dear Nicole(Coconut),

You had a very different point of view about Janie and her life with Jody. I understand that Jody was not the ideal man for her. Jody changed from a sweet and nice man to very motivated in a negative way. I agree with you that it was wrong the way Jody treated Janie, which changes a person's mentality and maturity. I think that this also tests life experiences.

One quote that you wrote that I found interesting was: "Joe and Janie are not happy at all She was too young to believe that a
stranger would ever give her love. To me you have to get to know the
person before deciding that their going to spend life together." I liked how you connected your personal life with the book; this is what makes a book interesting. Personal connections also help people to understand the book better and enjoy the characters' perspective on life.

Another quote that stood out for me was: "The author Zora Hurston wants us to think that Janie needs a back bone
and needs to stop thinking that every thing is all magical and nothing
can go wrong." I never really thought about this. To me, it seemed that Janie had a great backbone, but had too much patience. Janie never acted upon her words because she was being wise. However in your post, you claimed that Janie needed a back bone and when I thought about it, I understood your point of view.

Thanks for writing, I really thought your analysis and perspective made sense. Hope to see more of your writing in the future.