Chapters 3 and 4

After reading over chapters 3 and 4, it was made clear that Janie and Logan were not meant to be married.  They were a bickering couple and I felt that Logan was trying to take advantage of her.  Even though Logan was an honest man, and a persistent worker, Janie felt that she needed more.  Right on cue, Joe Starks comes into the novel.  Joe is a determined and inspired man with a set dream.  Right away, Janie notices that she has a connection with him and would feel better off with a guy like him.  Janie already knew that her marriage with Logan was coming to an end.  Thus she makes the right decision by running away and marrying Joe.

I would, without a doubt in my mind, do the same thing that Janie did because it seemed as if it was love at first sight.  She already knew that she wasn't happy with Logan.  Why stay with someone who doesn't make you happy?  That question was probably running through Janie's mind as she made the choice.  This particular scene reminds me a lot about a famous movie: Titanic in which similiar to this novel, a woman named Rose is not happy with her soon to be husband.  Although the man was wealthy and offered her a lot of fine jewelry, it was not enough to cut the cake.  Rose, just like Janie, meets a man who brightens every one of her days.  She knew right away that she had to be with him.

In chapter 3, Joe mentions something very important to Janie:

"He ain't kissin' yo' mouf when he carry on over yuh lak dat.  He's kissin' yo' foot and 'tain't in uh man tuh kiss foot long.  Mouf kissin' is on uh equal and dat's natural but when dey got to bow down tuh love, dey soon straightens up."

When Joe mentioned this to Janie, he was trying to prove a point that a man should straighten up when dealing with love.  I also believe that Joe meant Logan didn't love Janie the way she deserved to be loved.  Joe knows that Janie deserves someone that would be better, and make her happy.

Next, I believe that Janie and Logan would get into a series of arguments that would ultimately lead to the downfall of their marriage.  Janie would probably end the marriage on the spot and run away from Logan.  Her and Joe have a great connection, and would fall in love with each other instantly.