Cheaters!

by: ohughes

Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was recently asked about what he thought about steroid use in baseball. His answer was simple, a one-year suspension from the game. I cannot help but agree with Ortiz on this one, but i also think a little something extra should be added into the equation. If a player is caught using performance enhancing drugs, he should be banned from getting into the hall of fame. A player cannot be recognized as one of the greatest of all time, if he was using drugs in order to boost his performance. Hell, if every player used steroids, they all would be putting up monster numbers. You cannot compliment someone for cheating. It just is not right.

Another current major-leaguer, Jamie Moyer was asked if he thought that recently outed steroid user Alex Rodriguez should be inducted into the Hall. His answer was simple, "How could he be?" Using drugs as an aid in competition is wrong, and how can you compare steroid using meatheads to such greats as Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth? You simply can't. Baseball has become a joke, and the game I used to like to watch has become a huge scandel of he said she said and cheaters. it is wrong and it has ruined major league baseball for me.

"I would suggest everybody get tested, not random, everybody," he said. "You go team by team. You test everybody three, four times a year and that's about it."

And if a player tests positive for steroids?

"Ban 'em for the whole year," the slugger said.

Hey! I just joined this

Submitted by 14wittingo on Sat, 2009-02-21 19:29.

Hey! I just joined this group and I really like your article. I agree that it is unfair for people to use steroids... but I'm not sure about one thing. A-Rod did it six years ago but then he stopped! I think it would be a little hard on him if it was so long ago. And anyway if you look at his statistics you'll see that he hit almost the same amount of homeruns from year to year. In 2003 the year he took the steroids he hit 47 and in 2002 he hit 57. Okay that a lot but in 2005 he hit 48 and in 2007 he hit 54. It looks to me as if he barley did any better with the "enhancement". Who knows, maybe him and his cousin didn't use them correctly anyway! Well I think that you should be banned the year you use them, not 4ever after. Nice piece though. If you don't believe the stats here: http://www.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=1... ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: O.R.W., Baccalaureate School for Global Education, Long Island City, NYC, USA

I did liked your article but

Submitted by DVGarcia on Tue, 2009-02-24 15:33.

I did liked your article but if it is so bad how come there are no consequences. I don't think that people should be punished for things that happened a long time ago. Like Alex Rodriguez. He is getting a bad rap for something that happened a long time ago

Hi Ohughes, Love your

Submitted by mwhitehouse on Wed, 2009-07-01 11:04.

Hi Ohughes,

Love your topic.  I'm one of those people who gets misty at Wrigley Field and who fights back tears when the Lou Gerig speech is played.  I'm a fan of the game and of the history and its reflection of American society.  For me there is no gray area.  If you are caught "cheating" there should be a consequence.  It seems to me that steroid use so tarnishes a players numbers and reputation that they should have to live with the harsh consequence of being banned from the Hall of Fame.  They should not get the benefit of the doubt that in a certain year they had stellar numbers without enhancement.  Make it cut and dry: you took steroids,  your name will never make the ballot.

MW

Regarding your comment on

Submitted by wdhaverstock on Wed, 2009-07-01 11:37.

Regarding your comment on "monster" numbers in baseball: actually, if everyone were using steroids, then there would be no monster numbers.  The steroidal pitching and fielding would negate the steroidal hitting.  The real problem is when a steroid user goes up against an honest, non-enhanced player.  That's why the stats are skewed.  The steroid stats are being compared to the non-steroid stats.  So all steroid stats have to be tossed out of the record book.  That means subtract at least all of the home runs A-Rod hit during his years with Texas.

It has never been possible to figure out the effect of cheating.  Shoeless Joe Jackson, for example, has been kept out of the hall of fame because he accepted money during along with others for the 1919 Black Sox. 

www.shoelessjoejackson.com/about/biography.html

But he batted .375 in that World Series to lead all hitters.  Could his hitting possibly have negatively affected the outcome of the series?

www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksjo01-bat.shtml

Since we'll never know, we have to throw it all out if it is tainted.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.