Children in the Cruel World

Hey, help me annotate this article http://personal.crocodoc.com/jD9YCdH!

In Anne Backhaus, article, "Daughters for Sale: India's Child Slavery Scourge," from News, A. 2013. Daughters for Sale: India's Child Slavery Scourge. [online] Available at: http://abcnews.go.com/International/daughters-sale-indias-child-slavery-... [Accessed: 7 Mar 2014]. This article was about Indian children and how they are trafficked. It talks about the works they have to do and how they are treated. The article was about one specific girl in India named Durga.

When we consider the issue of human trafficking, some might wonder: How are children involved in this? Anne's news article addresses this question because she explains why children, especially in India are part of modern day slavery. One example was that parents sell their children because they are destituted. The traffickers wait on trains to kidnap orphans to work for them. Children are sometimes promised a better life but in reality it is worse.

Anne writes: They work in the fields, in factories, brothels and private households -- often without pay and usually with no realistic chance of escaping. The majority of them are sold or hired out by their own families.
This is basically saying that children work for their traffickers for free. They have a finite time to live because they can not handle the abuse and starvation they have to face. It is also saying that their family sells them as well for money because of poverty or a loan they owed.

Anne also states: They are easy prey for the traffickers who await them at the train station. The men promise them a place to stay and a well-paid job, and when they hand the youngsters over to an employer, the traffickers earn a commission of up to 1,000 rupees, or nearly €12 per child. This is interesting because children are easy prey for traffickers. Children are easy to manipulate. The men promising a better life that’s not in poverty will make any child run for freedom. The children are vulnerable and are persuaded to leave.
This might make one wonder how badly the children suffer. They might also wonder if the children go to school. I want to know if the children go outside at some point while there. I also want to know if the children are forced to live with someone else instead of the traffickers.

Another point Backhaus makes in her news item is: "The children flee from poverty in the countryside and the brutality of their families, and hope for a better life in the big city." This is significant because the children live poor lifestyles and have to find another reason to be happy. If a reason to be happy is given, their mind is set to follow the reason.

A final point addressed by Backhaus is: "As soon as they reach the age of 10, girls are sold to men who pose as marriage matchmakers or promise jobs in the city" This is also important because children, especially girls, are sold to people who promise the best life. In reality, those promises are just broken dreams and false hope.
Some might agree with Backhaus that children are suffering in the trafficking world. One reason is that she explains how the children suffer by using examples of children and explaining their conditions. Another reason some might agree with Anne is because she also explains why the children are sold and what jobs they have.

What this news item makes me realize is that children are the main targets for traffickers. The children are the easiest to convince. For my future research on this topic, I think I will research about sex trafficking and how it affects the woman involved. I want to research how human trafficking causes sex trafficking to become a big deal.

Interesting Post

sauljcervantes's picture
Submitted by sauljcervantes on Thu, 2014-04-03 09:43.

Dear Jarissa,

I feel glum by your post "Children in the Cruel World" because it is a very depressing topic. I find you did a well job of describing the topic, but it is just something depressing to hear about and I have heard about it before.
A sentence that make me worried is "Children are sometimes promised a better life but in reality it is worse." I feel this unacceptable because i'm pretty sure that at least on of the people doing this actions have a child and if this happen to their child they would be mad. To think that a human being can look at a little kids face and lie to them and say they are going to have a better life then take them to hell.

Sentences that I was aggravated with where “They have a finite time to live because they can not handle the abuse and starvation they have to face. It is also saying that their family sells them as well for money because of poverty or a loan they owed." This stood out for me because it is really unbelievable to me. I do not blame the family to much because some may think the child will have a better life, but at the same time they are not that careful. I feel that it is ridiculous that when the kids are sold or given to the traffickers they are basically guaranteed death. Parents even if desperate should think about their child first before themselves.

Your post reminds me of a topic that I saw and did some research on. I saw sex trafficking and movie and found interest in how people could actually commit this reprehensible act. Now with this sex trafficking they usually take teenagers and young adults and bring them to a place to basically be rapped. They are not just rapped by random people, but people who pay to have sex or do sexually things with them. The thing is the girls can't do anything back because they are drugged so they can not move, but remain living. When I found this out it got me scared and really ticked me off in a way especially since I can not do much about it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you chose very serious topics that some may find hard to research. Topics which such depression facts and deals with the lives of kids and people is very harsh. I hope to see the same input in the article responds as this one in another on and possible find an organization or police who help to stop things such as child trafficking.

Interesting Post

sauljcervantes's picture

Dear Jarissa,