Chronic Sleep Lose

by: JCernadas

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been sleep. I always try to fall asleep, but most of the time I'm in school, and so I can't do anything but daydream. Lately, I've been getting really tired. I always sleep at the same time, 11-12am, and I know that's the main reason for my overall tiredness, but its been worse recently. For example, it's not even first period and I try to fall asleep during muster.

One thing that I know for sure about sleep is that it keeps your body healthy. Now I've studied my share of Biology, and I have no idea why keeping a sleep cycle is important. Personally, I think that as long as you get 6-8 hours of sleep your body should be well. I don't know much about sleep, just that it feels good and I know a lot of people who sleep more than they should. 

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on sleep, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: Chronic Sleep Loss is Hard to Overcome. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2010/01/chronic-sleep-loss.... This article provided a lot of information chronic sleep loss, which I have. I don't always sleep at the same time, and I always sleep later than I should. This quote: "The study also found that when the body's circadian rhythms were at their lowest (late night and early morning) reaction times were slower, especially with chronic sleep loss." didn't really surprise me all that much, I mean it just makes sense. If you are really tired, your reaction times are going to be slower than usual.

In another article: 14 Tips For Getting More Sleep, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretchen-rubin/sleep-tips-14-tips-for-ge_b..., there was this one statement that made me shake my head in disagreement with the writer. It was: "We get accustomed to being sleep-deprived, and although at first, we notice the effect on mood and alertness, before long, we adjust to that state as normal. So even if you insist that you feel fine, if you got more sleep, you might feel a lot better." This maybe true for some, but for me, with my chronic sleep lose I feel I get even crankier when I get a goods night rest. I feel that once I wake up, I instantly get angry at anyone that's around. My chronic sleep lose is normal to me, and I never snapped at people because of it.

All of this makes me think that maybe I'm not normal. Seriously though, I feel better with the less sleep I have. I may be different from other people, but I guess sleeping with a good schedule is good for the body. I don't want a "risk for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and even obesity." So maybe, because I don't have a New Years Resolution, this will be it. From now on I'll try to sleep more, and to create a better sleeping cycle.

Hey Jess! One of my old

achan's picture
Submitted by achan on Thu, 2010-01-14 10:35.

Hey Jess! One of my old topics were about sleep too. It's bad when one sleeps too much but it's also as bad when one sleeps too much. You should sleep no less than 5 hours and no more than 8 hours. You also need a good schedule to follow too. What's the point of getting your 5-8 hours of sleep if you sleep at 2am? There's a theory that when you sleep, you grow and kids grow more when they're alseep by 9pm.