Cinderella

I created the Scratch animation Cinderella as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that helps teach a lesson or conveys a message.

My story is about a girl named Cindy who lives with her two step-sisters, step-mother, and her father in NYC. She is constantly bullied by her sisters when she does nothing wrong. Her school is having a prom and she wants to go with a guy she likes, Deshawn. Her sisters don’t want her to go to prom so they ruin her dress and go to prom without her. Her grandmother comes over and buys Cindy a new dress. Cindy goes to prom and no one recognizes her except for her step-sister Victoria. Cindy and Deshawn have a great time at prom, Deshawn just doesn't know that it’s her.

At the end of the night when Cindy leaves, Victoria and Deshawn find Cindy’s shoe on the ground. The next day Victoria can either tell Deshawn that it was her shoe and she was the one he was dancing with or that it was Cindy’s shoe. If Victoria lies and says it was her, Deshawn gets upset because he doesn’t like Victoria and doesn’t believe it’s her and doesn’t know what to do. Cindy gets upset because she thinks Deshawn likes Victoria and Victoria is upset because she caused so much trouble. If Victoria tells the truth then Cindy, Deshawn and Victoria are all happy.

My story was inspired by Cinderella written by Charles Perrault. I just decided to make a more modern version because The old one was written over 100 years ago and I thought NYC was an interesting setting for the story to take place.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I was able to follow all the requirements by managing my time. I divided up my work between class time and the time I worked on it at home. I also chose to import most of the sprites and backgrounds instead of drawing them so I would save time and would be able to work on the scripts more.

Comment

16chowdhurym's picture
Submitted by 16chowdhurym on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:08.

I think that this story is good and it has a good story line. I think that it can be tempting for the user to pick the wrong decision. However the story does not end after you had chosen your decision. You can keep clicking a and b endlessly.

I like how you based this

Submitted by 16linj on Thu, 2012-01-05 21:24.

I like how you based this animation off the real Cinderella, but you slightly change it. This teaches a very valuable lesson to the youth in our modern society. This animation is also a more modern Cinderella then the classic Cinderella story.

Awesome

Submitted by 16heronp on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:01.

I LOVED THIS for many reasons. one thing it would be that it was based on Cinderella and that the animations were pretty awesome; and creative. I think that it can be tempting for the user to pick the wrong decision...... I almost did repetitively XD

Your story is very similar,

16riadc's picture
Submitted by 16riadc on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:06.

Your story is very similar, but I liked the way you changed it up a little bit. I think it is good that you made the player tempted to make the wrong decision. Your story is interesting. I like that you made it very realistic, talking about prom and her wanting to go with a guy she really likes.

I think this animation was

Submitted by 16moyv on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:56.

I think this animation was very interesting. I liked how you used Cinderella to make your ethical story. You did all of the requirements, and it was definitely longer than 3 minutes.

Silvia

Submitted by 16camposs on Fri, 2012-01-06 00:33.

I liked your animation because it was very realistic and it had lots of scenes and dialogue. There was no problems with anything. It also had perfect timing, and it didn't seem like an older story like cinderella being put as a servant and the guy she danced with be the prince. I like how it is more modern and it fits in how todays life is perfectly.
I noticed that it seemed to be a little bit shorter than three minutes. That however was the only problem I saw in your animation.
The ethical dilemma in your story is to say the truth and not lie because if you do lie then bad consequences would occur. I thought that this moral was very clear and would make a good influence on other viewers.

great story

Submitted by 16savinone on Fri, 2012-01-06 06:51.

I liked how you made the time period in the story to modern day New-York giving readers more of a sense of what tings are like in the story.

The ethical dilemma in your storywas to not lie and always tell the truth. I understood the choices because they were normal choices that could happen to people who are lying to others.

Thank you!

16benaresb's picture
Submitted by 16benaresb on Thu, 2013-09-19 12:48.

Thanks Elbert! I really wanted to get my message across to my viewers so I'm glad that you understood it!

I really enjoyed watching

17sutantor's picture
Submitted by 17sutantor on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:17.

I really enjoyed watching your interactive animation. I liked how how you made a modern version of Cinderella and I liked how Cindy left converse instead of a glass slipper :) The ethical dilemma was interesting. I like how you made the viewer choose whether or not the step sister should tell the truth. The choice was easy for me because I like happy endings so I made the step sister tell the truth. Awesome animation :D

i really liked how you

Submitted by 17sahar on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:32.

i really liked how you modernized the cinderella story that we all know. i thought that ethical dilemma was something that a majority of us knew and it was nice to a see a part of the story where one of the mean sisters had to decide whether to lie and tell the truth and the different consequences and effects of the answer. i also like how you did not include the step-mother

Good Story

17schleyerj's picture
Submitted by 17schleyerj on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:36.

I like how the story is so similar to the real cinderella but it was fabricated to fit our real and modern world, like how the fairy godmother is her grandma. The ethical decision is obvious, but one thing is that the good decision does not have a reward. The bad decision does have a punishment though.

I loved your animation!!!

Submitted by 17marukyann on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:39.

I really loved your animation for many reasons. I liked how you used such an old story as Cinderella to make it in to a modern version. But I think you should make the Sprites talk slower, because at times in the animation it was confusing for me and it was unclear to see who was saying what. I also thought that your animation should have some music and more movement. Your animation was kind of plain with out it. Otherwise your animation was interesting and was fun for the reader to watch. The ethical dilemma was great and was understandable. Great job on creating your animation!!! :)

I liked that your animation

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:57.

I liked that your animation was so colorful and bright. I also liked that you put a modern twist on an old fairytale. The dialogue was hard to read at times though.
Your ethical dilemma was very good. It was very interesting but, I think that you should make the animation go a little faster though.

I really liked your

Submitted by 17guom on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:57.

I really liked your animation. It performed ethical dilemma. This is because Cindy had a choice of going to the party with her grandma's help or not. To go to the party was the right choice.

CindyeLLa

Submitted by 17wangl on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:46.

I really liked your animation because you kept me very interested. The ethical dilemma was kind of obvious because I think we knew the story, so what you can do next time is give it a twist.

Great Ethical Dilemma!

Submitted by 17yanb on Fri, 2012-04-27 17:35.

I really liked your ethical dilemma because it was very close to the actual story except it had more of a modern twist. I think the dialogue timing could have been better, but overall it was good.
In this dilemma, the girl named Cindy wanted to go to prom with a guy, but her step-sisters didn't want her to go, so they sabotaged her dress and shoes. Her grandmother takes her to buy a dress and then she gets to go to prom. She leaves her shoe there and the boy looks for her. Her step-sister has a choice between lying and telling the truth. The moral is to always tell the truth.