College Admissions

by: CMoser

College Admission

The one thing that currently seems to dominate my time and my mind is admission to college.  I am at a senior in high school right now, and I'm trying to keep my sanity while dealing with the stressful task of applying to multiple colleges.  There are so many different components in the application, and there are varying applications to each school as well.  As a senior, you have to find and research each school, find out how to apply, then fill out numerous questions, and write essays.  Some schools are on the common application, while some are on the universal application, while some are just altogether on their own application.  As if things could already not be confusing enough.  As many seniors are finding out right now, applying to college is not as easy as they thought.  Or, at least I am.  However, the college admission process does not just confuse me; it puts extreme pressure on me.  There seems to be this thought in society and at school that you need to be absolutely perfect in school and extracurricular activities so that you can be admitted into the best ivy league schools in the country.  I know that I definitely am not this perfect; Harvard and Princeton seem like a far stretch for me.  I wish that there could be a simple easy-to-follow set of instructions put out by college admission counselors to help high school students like me find a way to be what they consider "perfect" and a simple set of instructions that I could follow to just find my way through all of the application process.

However, with the further research, I have found that there is some hope out there for me and others in my same predicament.  Jay Matthews from the Washington Post wrote an article called "10 Antidotes to College-Application Anxiety" advising high school seniors and those applying to college on ten things they must keep in mind to keep sane when applying to colleges.

1. Getting into an Ivy League school is like winning at roulette: It is a game of chance that has little to do with brains or talent, so stop worrying about it.

2. Don't fret about picking the wrong school. If you find it doesn't suit you, you can always transfer.

3. Treat campus visits like trips to a theme park.

4. You need only two good extracurricular activities.

5. Freaked out by the SAT? Take the ACT.

6. Still bothered by those tests? Apply to a college that doesn't require them.

7. Have fun with your essay.

8. Get off the résumé-building treadmill and do something normal.

9. Look for a place that fits you, and remember that many colleges can meet your needs.

10. Remember: It is your character, not the name of your college, that is likely to bring success.

Dear Christina, I really

Submitted by c_holl123 on Tue, 2009-09-08 19:28.

Dear Christina,

I really enjoyed you post about how stressful applying to college can be because i know exactly what your feeling. I too am stressed out not only about the application and essay but about picking the wrong college. One sentence that really stands out for me is "There seems to be this thought in society and at school that you need to be absolutely perfect in school adn extracurricular activities so that you can be admitted into the best ivy league schools in the country." I think this is very insightful because it does seem like we put too much pressure on getting into those few ivy's. Another sentence that was very relatable to me was "I definitely am not this perfect; Harvard adn Princeton seem like a far stretch for me." This really stood out for me because I know how you feel too that even though your trying you hardest its still not enough. Your post reminds me of my own life and my own stressful situation of applying to college. I realize that just like you that even though i might have the grade or the test scores its still a game of chance and while some schools might be on paper harder to get into you might be just what there looking for while a school that is easier persay to get into you might get rejected from. Its all just crazy!

Thank you for writing. I look foward to seeing what you write next, because you have some really good insight into the college application process and its many stress's. This was very well written and insightful and i cant wait till you next post!

-Claire

Dear Christina   I liked

Submitted by marissa on Wed, 2009-09-09 10:50.

Dear Christina

I liked your article, "College Admissions," because I am also a senior this year and am applying to many different colleges. It is a very stressful process and you have to fill out the same information for different colleges. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "There seems to be this thought in society and at school that you need to be absolutely perfect in school and extracurricular activities so that you can be admitted into the best ivy league schools in the country." I think this is insightful because there is so much pressure to be perfect now. Colleges are forced to be more selective because the number of applicants is constantly increasing. Students have to work harder to get in to the most selective classes, and this puts a strain on less difficult colleges as well. Another sentence that I agreed with was: "I wish that there could be a simple easy-to-follow set of instructions put out by college admission counselors to help high school students like me find a way to be what they consider "perfect" and a simple set of instructions that I could follow to just find my way through all of the application process." This stood out for me because the common application still makes you fill out information for every college. Colleges that are not on the common application just complicate things more and add to the stress. Your post is related to me because I also am going through the stress of applying to colleges, and understand the pressure to take all the hardest classes and get perfect grades.
Thanks for your work on this. I look forward to seeing what you create next, because your first post was creative and I agreed with what you had to say. Your ten tips are helpful and I'm sure many other people can relate to what you have written.

Mari