The Color of Water by James McBride

This week I finished the book “The Color of Water” by James McBride. It was 291 pages long. This book was a biography, which was written by James McBride as a tribute to his white mother (Ruth Jordan). I really enjoyed reading this book because it was a series of stories from both the white mother (Ruth Jordan) and one of her sons (James McBride).

“You don’t need money. What’s money if your mind is empty! Educate your mind! Is this world crazy or am I the crazy one? It’s probably me.” (McBride 33).

This quote was said by Ruth Jordan when she was lecturing all of her children on how they have to work much harder now because her husband died and now she couldn’t support her whole family by herself. She is teaching all of them a valuable lesson that almost all her children use later in life.

I think this quote is very significant because it really shows that knowledge is power, and if you don’t have knowledge you can’t get anywhere in life. She is saying that the knowledge you have is much more valuable than the amount of money you have.

The Color of Water by James McBride

Submitted by Johna on Thu, 2013-02-21 13:00.

It really good and it effects other people's lives because people really like even me, because it reminds me of people in my old school in eighth grade. One of my friends wanted to finish an essay he was writing, but I told him he could finish it. It was two pages long, so my class. We went to the computer lab. I was already done. So I finished in time. Then I started to play games while he was having problems. So I told him to think.