Creedence Clearwater Revival

by: jbrimley3

Ever since my iPod player broke in my car, I have been listening to the Classic Vinyl station on XM radio, and it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I get to listen to all the classic oldies from the Rolling Stones to Elton John. However, one band has really impressed me and in fact, made me realize that I have a new favorite band. Creedence Clearwater Revival, in my opinion, is the greatest band to have ever come out of North America. The band consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty, his brother and rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty, bassist Stu Cook, and drummer Doug Clifford. Their musical style encompassed country rock and swamp rock genres. Despite their San Francisco Bay Area origins, they positioned themselves as Southern rock stylists, singing about bayous, the Mississippi River, catfish, and other popular elements of Southern iconography. I really hope more younger people take a liking to such amazing classics. Without the interest of a younger generation, great bands could be lost forever. I am now making it my mission to make sure this doesn’t happen to CCR.

Justin, CCR is a classic.

Gabrielle Regenhardt's picture
Submitted by Gabrielle Regenhardt on Mon, 2012-03-26 23:07.

I was really delighted to see a post about this because honestly, CCR is amazing. I wasn't too much of a fan until a few months ago, but they are a really talented band. Thanks for sharing a bit about the bands origins for the rest of the readers here on Youth Voices!

Hopefully I will be seeing more of your musical journey with CCR in future posts!

-Gabi

CCR is a favorite

aboulhosn's picture
Submitted by aboulhosn on Tue, 2012-03-27 11:54.

Hi Justin:

I discovered CCR from my dad's record collection, and instantly became interested in their style. Even today, I'm not a huge fan of country music, but find that CCR's style is really appealing to me. I love John Fogerty's voice, which is so unusual, and their music is always so fun.

Happy listening!

Yes!

Submitted by hchev on Wed, 2012-03-28 23:04.

So true!

I grew up listening to CCR because my dad was big into it. I think my favorites songs are "Good Golly Miss Molly" (because our dog's name was Molly), "Cottonfields" and "Put a Candle in the Window". The last one always made me think of a book we read in elementary school about the 'underground railroad', and how slaves running to freedom would know that it was safe to stay at a house if there was a candle in the window. I'm not sure if this is what the song is actually about, but I'd almost rather not know. Sometimes the connections and interpretations you make personally from a song are more important than what the songwriters intended.

Very different from CCR, but also from my dad's collection is "Dire Straights" and "B.B King". Maybe you'd be intersted in checking those out too.

Cheers!

Oh! And the "Nitty Gritty

Submitted by hchev on Wed, 2012-03-28 23:05.

Oh! And the "Nitty Gritty Dirt band"... I grew up with that too. They are a bit more country, but still pretty smooth.