Cross-culture interactions

by: tsaeteurn

Most Hmong refugees came to the United States during the Vietnam War. Through the International Rescue Committee (IRC) located in Oakland and other offices in the Bay Area, they provided camps in Thailand to start the huge resettlement. Nearly 195,000 Hmong refugees resettled during that time and most came to California. Before the initial move to the United States, they offer essentials like food, housing,practicing vocabulary and interviewing skills for job readiness. In the article IRC vice president, Bob Carey says, “This is an important chapter in the U.S.’s history of providing new opportunity for refugees in need of resettlement”(IRC, 2016). The IRC has a wider understanding of people around the world so they address them with an open hand no matter what belief they have. Still to this day they help Hmong refugees resettle here and now it is even more quickly adaptable in the U.S than ever before.

Another Organization that helps Hmong refugees are the Valley Vision. They had a project to help the Hmong community. Their goals were to strengthen the health and well-being of Hmong community in California by improving the access to better healthcare and advocate for better cross-cultural interactions between Hmong and Western medicine. They conducted the Hmong Health Collaborative from 2005-2008 and their results so far were amazing. Increasing mental health care for the Hmong community, educated Hmong community members on common health issues and the healthcare system in California were just some of the things they managed to accomplish. What stuck out to me was that they managed to approve the adoption of Hmong spiritual care policies at several area hospitals. That is amazing because cultural practices needs to be respected when in medical facilities.

The two organizations impacted the Hmong community in a positive way. Today we criticize the people that come to our country but we need to learn to accept them because everyone should have an equal right to be welcomed to this country with open hands.

Cited Sources:
http://valleyvision.org/projects/hmong-health-collaborative
http://www.rescue.org/news/irc-help-resettle-hmong-refugees-united-state...

"The two organizations

Submitted by gsaturno on Wed, 2016-02-24 13:29.

"The two organizations impacted the Hmong community in a positive way. Today we criticize the people that come to our country but we need to learn to accept them because everyone should have an equal right to be welcomed to this country with open hands." I agree with the quote it's not right to criticize immigrants coming to our country because they deserve a fair chance for freedom and start a new life. No one should be able to stop them from starting a new life

I like this topic and how it

Submitted by cniegos on Sat, 2016-02-27 00:47.

I like this topic and how it is interesting how Hmong culture build their own organization to uplift their culture. Like how you describe the two organizations your working and great god on your piece.

Your findings were really

Submitted by rpreziglesias on Mon, 2016-02-29 19:58.

Your findings were really great. I had no idea there were refugee organizations in Oakland even though I was raised here. I'm glad that they have decided to educate the newcomers on common illnesses, instead of judging them for not knowing. It's important that we all keep an open mind when it comes to people from different cultures because to them what we do may seem weird or wrong. Therefore, everyone should be respectful and understanding. I completely agree with you when you said, "What stuck out to me was that they managed to approve the adoption of Hmong spiritual care policies at several area hospitals. That is amazing because cultural practices needs to be respected when in medical facilities."

I had no idea there was such

Submitted by kruss on Wed, 2016-03-02 23:50.

I had no idea there was such an outreach to help these people. Also didn't know that a lot of them came during the Vietnam War. This was very good research.

I agree that we as a country

Submitted by lmiller on Thu, 2016-03-03 21:32.

I agree that we as a country need to accept people for who they are. It is only right that we have equal rights. I did not know that there are organizations that are helping Hmong refugees resettle here and that was good to learn.

Hmong Organiations

swilliams's picture
Submitted by swilliams on Fri, 2016-03-04 16:10.

This was very interesting and outstanding. You had so many resources that I never knew about until I read your blog. I'm glad that these organizations impacted the community in a positive manner. This country do need to learned how to treat others how they want to be treated. Everyone deserve equal rights rather being a immigrant or a refugee.