The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

by: landayc18
Cover of book. There is a cutout of an upside down dog.

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon is one of the strangest and most intriguing books I have ever read. The chapters are numbered by increasing order of prime numbers. Every other chapter strays from the plot to explain some math or game concept. Heck, the main character can strongly be inferred to have Asperger's syndrome accompanied by some sort of savant syndrome for math and even narrates the story in first-person. It has been a very unique read, one that I must recommend. 

The first few chapters start out with our protagonist, Christopher, finding a dog dead with a fork in it (and not the dinner variety). He proceeds to get arrested for attacking an officer, gets released on caution, and ends up trying to solve the mystery of the dog. He even narrates the story and announces that it is a murder mystery. The rest of the plot is a roller coaster for the reader as well as for Christopher. Old family secrets and shames are revealed, lives are jumbled up, and in the end, everything is left in a warm fuzzy conclusion. 

It was pretty interesting to watch Christopher interact with other people. The book is set in England, and despite the minor culture shock (like really, really small) it was a blast watching him muddle his way through conversations and drawing conclusions. Of course, there were some moments when I could not help but cringe, both for the protagonist and for whoever he was speaking to. 

All in all, I really do recommend this book for anyone look for something out of the ordinary. All of the characters are human, all the chapters interesting, and all themes relatable. It is worth your time.

This book seems very interesting

ajusa's picture
Submitted by ajusa on Thu, 2015-05-21 20:55.

Judging by your "review" of the book, I can see that you seemed to have really liked it. I think that this is very interesting, because very few books have been written with such a perspective. Someone who is feared and hated in society trying to solve a murder mystery sounds like a great book. I think I will read this book very soon!