The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate

For my independent reading project, I read The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. I liked the book because of the characters' personalities, and how Calpurnia tests gender roles in the early 1900's by asking if she can go to college. I also really liked the style of writing, and the imagery, I could really picture everything that was happening. I'm not sure if I would recommend this book to others, because I wasn't happy with the plot/storyline. If part of our assignment would have been making a plot diagram for the book, I don't think I would have been able to because there isn't really a plot. It is more just telling small events and anecdotes that happened, but I really struggled to find any kind of rising action or climax. Overall, I liked the book, but I wouldn't recommend it for a project where knowing the plot is important.

Hi

Submitted by charissaboniface on Mon, 2015-12-14 14:54.

I have never read that book. It sounds interesting how the main character goes against the gender roles of the time by going to school. I think it is very interesting how far we have come. Today girls and guys both go to school. I think the only sexist aspect of society still super relevant today is unequal pay and unequal positions in the work force. Women still do not get paid as much as men and do not get as high work positions. I think it is great how far we have come but I hope we continue to progress.