The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Braken

by: 17zhul

When Ruby work up on her tenth birthday, something changed within her. Her parents didn't know her because Ruby accidentally wiped away her parents memory. So, when she woke up, her parents didn't know who she was. And they sent her to Thurmond "rehabilitation camp". She survived the mysterious disease that killed many but she and the other emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they coud not control. Now at age sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. Read the rest to find out what happens to Ruby!

An idea that was presented throughout the book was the fact that she couldn't control her powers. Ruby's power is that she can push memories in and out of that person's mind and she can also wipe away a person' memory. She can't control it and that is an essential part of the story because if she knew how to control them, then she wouldn't have needed Slip Kid to teach her and they wouldn't have needed to go to the East River.

The idea that was presented throughout the book, I thought was very powerful because it contributed a lot to the book. I really enjoyed reading the book. I couldn't even put it down. I liked the book because the setting was constantly changing and Ruby changed along the way as well. I thought that their were so many factors that prevented Ruby from doing what she wanted and I really admired how she fit all of the details in. I give this book a 9 out of 10! I really recommend this book!

General Discussion

sundmega's picture
Submitted by sundmega on Fri, 2013-10-11 10:34.

Dear 17zhul:
I am excited about your book talk post, "The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Braken" because once I read your summary, I thought that this sounded interesting and a book that I would love to read this book. It is defiantly a book that caught my attention. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "An idea that was presented throughout the book was the fact that she couldn't control her powers." I think this is interesting because since she doesn't know how to control her own powers, that puts her and everyone around her in danger, plus it makes the story more suspenseful if she accidentally uses them and something ends up happening. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: "Ruby's power is that she can push memories in and out of that person's mind and she can also wipe away a person' memory." This stood out for me because how cool would it be to control what a person remembers? I love stories where people get special powers like this and I find it entertaining. Your book talk post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I read the Maximum Ride Graphic Novel, and this book slightly remind me of that because Angel can communicate people through their minds and make them think thoughts that they actually didn't think buts she's making them. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoy reading book reports/summaries because most of the time they will introduce me to new books.

Dear 17zhulI I am very

Submitted by aphal on Thu, 2013-10-10 18:25.

Dear 17zhul

I am very interested about the book you are reading because
I personally don't like books, but the way you describe The Darkest Minds caught my attention by describing how the main character Ruby has the power to push memories in and out of a person's mind. This makes me want to go look for this book and read it.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "Now at age sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. Read the rest to find out what happens to Ruby!" I think this is a great way to summarize part of the story because now readers can just look at what you wrote and might find the book interesting.

I do agree with you that the idea that you presented was very powerful. One reason I say this is because for a person that really doesn't like to read, it just seems like a good book to read.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it fascinates me. Also I will also like to read more of your book reviews because before reading a book, your opinion can affect what book I would read for fun.

Dear 17zhul ,

Submitted by maguilar on Sat, 2013-10-12 22:18.

Just like the commenter above, I'm not a big fan of reading a books as well, but how you described "The Darkest Minds" made me want to share what came to my mind about this disriciption you provided. How Ruby has the power to push memories in and out of a person's mind. This alone just sounds really interesting.

Ruby having the power she does is amazing, the ability to wipe away someones memory.

I like how you put in "Now at age sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. Read the rest to find out what happens to Ruby!" That made me want to use my time to look for this book online and see a little more about what happens to ruby along the way.

17zhul, I really hope I can read more of what you write. Although I don't like the taste for reading I will sure love to read a book with this similar type of summary.