Dave Discovers Sburb

by: 16parhamr

I created the Scratch animation Dave Discovers Sburb as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that includes a decision that a character is faced with, which often deals with the character making a “right” or “wrong” choice. The story may go in different directions depending on the choice the character makes, but usually he/she makes the right choice.

My story is about three young adults named John, Dave, and Rose. They recently discovered the game Sburb, which allows them to modify the houses of other people playing the game. While playing this game, Dave decides to start modifying John’s house, starting with the toilet. He claims he is making John’s house “awesome”, while John thinks he is being ridiculous. Dave then notices some stuffed toys in John and Rose’s rooms, and predicts on a whim that they will create something extremely good in the Alchemiter, another feature of the game that allows the players to fuse objects into new items or transport them from other places. Dave must decide whether or not to fuse these stuffed toys, which also happen to be Rose and John’s favorites. The person viewing must then decide whether to combine the items and risk their friendship, or to stop what Dave is doing and save it.

My story was inspired by the webcomic Homestuck, which centers around the characters mentioned in my story and many others. I used many concepts from Homestuck to create the plot, but the ethical decision was my creation. I wanted to make an ethical story that didn’t have to do with fairytales like Cinderella or fables like the Tortoise and the Hare.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I included an ethical decision that had two possible paths depending on what the viewer chooses. The player can chose what the character will do, and the story follows accordingly. I credited the creator of Homestuck because I used some of ideas in it, and the story is appropriate for children up to 13.

Cool

16rahmanm's picture
Submitted by 16rahmanm on Wed, 2012-01-04 13:43.

Nice animation, cool parody of Homestuck. Good work.

Good job

16matovica's picture
Submitted by 16matovica on Thu, 2012-01-05 21:28.

I liked the way the story was based around. It was very humorous and interesting. A little bit sloppy and confusing with the dialogue bubble but overall great job.

Interesting Story

16chungk's picture
Submitted by 16chungk on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:22.

At first, I was a bit confused about the story line, but after I read the summary, I found the plot interesting and humorous. Nice job!

Heyyy I LOVE

Submitted by 17georgioua on Tue, 2012-05-01 07:56.

Heyyy I LOVE HOMESTUCKKKK!!!!Thank you for making my day... I really liked the fact that you were talking about the plushies and stuff, but isn't Rose the one who dismembers John's bathroom??? Well... Overall it was awesome!!!!!!

Wow, I'm glad I found

17roused's picture
Submitted by 17roused on Tue, 2012-05-01 08:07.

Wow, I'm glad I found Homestuck on here!
I really liked the project! The plot was really cute, and my favorite part was how Dave started rapping, it was funny!
I also liked the ethical dilemma, of how Dave could either fuse the two important items or not - it was pretty creative.
The only thing I would say that's negative is that the dialogue bubbles went a little fast, but I could still read them. Overall, it was great. I reaaaaaaaally liked it!