A Day with Winter

I created the Scratch animation, A Day with Winter, as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that teaches the right decision to make in a tough problem. It shows you the consequences of making the wrong decision, even though some may good, the bad will always overpower. Sometimes you just need to sacrifice and make the right choice even though it may be hard to settle with.

My story is about a girl named Annie who lives in the Caribbean but loves winter. She has never seen the time of season and has always wanted it to but her mom thinks it’s a dumb idea. Annie’s mother believes she is being a silly dreamer. Her escape from all that nonsense is about a boy named Winter who never grows up and lives in a place called Everlast. Everlast is a winter wonderland where the season never changes. She sees all the fun activities and great parts of winter but after the long day she is faced with he choice of leaving or staying. If she stays, Annie enjoys her life there and goes on great adventures with Winter but her mom becomes ill with depression of her loss. She also never gets to see her future, if Annie leaves she grows up to become a successful author. Annie works everything out with her mom but never sees another winter or goes back to Everlast.

My story was inspired by Peter Pan, I thought it was a great story filled with adventure but also taught you the importance of growing up. I renamed Peter and the name of the land, Neverland, the story is absolutely different from Peter Pan but that is the basis.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I managed to create a story where you are faced with a decision and each choice had pros and cons. Everlast is a fun place but the player has to work out there priorities and make the right decision. I made the script and edited everything so the game made sense. I think I was unsuccessful in adding more sound effects and making the mini movie of the story more compelling.

I really liked all of the

17costae's picture
Submitted by 17costae on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:35.

I really liked all of the different backgrounds you had in your animation. However, there wasn't really an ethical dilemma. The only thing that made this animation interactive what that press the space bar to change the background to a winter scene. Also, I feel there should've been more dialogue towards the end to keep it interesting and possibly not have added the beach at the very end, which I didn't really understand.

I really liked all of the

17costae's picture
Submitted by 17costae on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:45.

I really liked all of the different backgrounds you had in your animation. The ethical dilemma was a good idea, having the viewer choose if they wanted to stay there or go back home. You also did a good job equally supporting each choice they had in the decision.

I liked the backrounds, and

Submitted by 17mahi on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:48.

I liked the backrounds, and the story was cute. But there wasn't really an ethical dilemma in the animation, because after staying or going didn't teach the character a lesson, and I don't get what happened afterwards.

daY with WinTaHHH

Submitted by 17wangl on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:54.

I really liked your animation, and it was really interesting. However, I never found out the ethical dilemma in the end because it did not let me choose an option, except to press the spacebar.

I liked the animation, but

Submitted by 17levkoviche on Sun, 2012-04-29 21:31.

I liked the animation, but like the others said, there was no ethical dilemma. The only thing I found interactive was pressing the space bar.

One thing I had liked was

Submitted by 17ahmedf on Tue, 2012-05-01 18:09.

One thing I had liked was that there were many backgrounds that had made the girl's thoughts seem more realistic. It had showed what the girl was really thinking. The ethical decision was very easy to decide not to stay because it was a dream and she would leave the place when she had woken up.