Deadliest Catch.

by: mevefox3

You've all probably heard of the show on the Discovery Channel "Deadliest Catch." Its basically a show diplaying the lives of commercial fisherman out at sea. As the Discovery Channel puts it,

...voyage to the Bering Sea and follow the brave captains and crew of eight crab-fishing vessels as they struggle against the treacherous weather conditions doing one of the deadliest — and most lucrative — jobs in the world.

Deadliest Catch : About the Show : Discovery Channel

Yes, one of the world's deadliest jobs. And my dad worked on one of these boats. For me, it's hard to believe that my own dad was a crab fisherman working out at sea with all the harsh conditions mother nature brings. Even still, he works out at sea on a commercial fishing boat.  When you first meet my dad, you wouldn't think that he had worked on a crab boat out in the Aluetian Islands. He's more of the laidback type of guy that you would think would own a small buisiness, or be a ceo of a company. Not someone who has done one of the worlds dangerous jobs. But without these people going out and risking their lives we wouldnt have food like crab, lobster, hallibut, cod, or even sushi.

In general, the commercial fishing industry is not for the weak at heart. Each year, it places thousands of workers on the world's shorelines at the mercy of the ocean, and job lists consistently rank commercial fishing among the dirtiest and deadliest. In Alaska, the stakes are higher since the getting is so good -- almost 95 percent of the U.S. salmon supply comes from the state's fisheries [source: Alaska Department of Fish & Game]. The fishing industry pulls a big load in the Alaskan economy, comprising close to half of the state's private sector employment [source: Alaska Department of Fish and Game].

But the weather and waters sometimes clash with the fury of an angry Poseidon. Hauling up nets or cages weighing several hundreds of pounds is hard work. Add pelting rain, rogue waves and icy decks, and that work becomes lethal. Because of the state's geographical location, the waters are often colder and more unforgiving than other fishing environments.

HowStuffWorks "Why was Alaskan fishing named the most dangerous job in the world?"