Dear Principal Watson

Dear Principal Watson,

Hello, Ms. Watson, my name is Michaela Larios, and I am a senior in the Media Academy at Fremont High School. This year, when I had returned for my senior year,  I realized the NO PHONE policy had  changed even more this year. I do not think it is right that students are not allowed  to use their phones during lunch and passing periods because this is our only free time to take care of our personal business. As young adults, we students have important responsibilities that require  us to use our phones. As a student, I am not trying to disrespect you, but I am just giving my opinion respectfully. Instead of the current policy, I suggest that we are allowed to use our phones during lunch and passing periods, but not in class unless it is accepted by the teacher and in their lesson plan. Additionally, I think we should have more awareness around school safety and cyber-bullying in our classrooms to help students use their phones responsibly.

Thank you for all of the hard work you have put in to our school so far and I hope we have a great year.

Sincerely,

Michaela Larios     

Feedback

Submitted by mjrougelot on Fri, 2015-10-02 15:42.

I completely agree with what you have to say, especially since my school has the same rule. I think you have great support for your cause and address the topic in a respectful manner. One thing that could be improved is the overall clarity and organization. It might help to give a few more specific examples of why using a phone during the school day is necessary. The last sentence also needs some more support. The placement at the end leaves the reader hanging, so maybe envelope it into the paragraph more and add a conclusion. Great job, and good luck with everything!

I thought you had a very

Submitted by mirathompson on Fri, 2015-10-02 15:45.

I thought you had a very convincing perspective. Also I liked that you were very respectful and gave your opinion in a not so harsh manner. The only thing that I would say would be to delete the sentence that starts with "As a student..." but overall I liked it a lot!

I think that you have a

Submitted by Mthomsen on Sun, 2015-12-13 18:18.

I think that you have a compelling point, in today's world, phones provide an abundant amount of information and it is an invaluable resource. I am a senior in high school also and I would be lost without my phone to stay on top of everything. It is true that phones can be distractions but it doesn't seem fair to punish the students who don't abuse the privilege of a phone at school along with those who do. To emphasize your point, you might want to include some specific examples of exactly how phones can be used positively in a school atmosphere or are necessary.

I strongly agree with you! I

Submitted by MillyCalufetti on Mon, 2016-04-11 15:31.

I strongly agree with you! I personally hav to use my phone a lot throughout the day to communicate with my mom. I think at the least you should be able to use them during lunch. If this new policy was put in to monitor cyber bullying I believe there are better ways to do it because kids can still go home and cyber bully. Very nice insightful opinion. Good job!