Dear Pryia

by: tjones14
dog tag

Dear Pryia,

It has been almost two years since the last time I saw you. I still wake up from dreams looking frantically for you, waiting for you to come running down the hall with your head down and your sweet puppy smile. I miss petting and kissing your white and light brown head. I miss your big black wet nose brushing against my cheek. I miss our night time walks that you seemed to love so much. I still have your collar and your dog tags right next to your paw print they took of you. Every time I wake up and go to the bathroom in the morning, I see your stuff and all of our fun memories come rushing back, they hit me almost like a title wave. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about you, and I miss you so much.

I just wanted to say I am so sorry Pryia. Im sorry I let you down as a mother and a friend. I saved your life from the pound just to put you down a few years later. I wish I could have done more to save you. I understand that my brothers agitated you, and for that I am also very sorry. You were an innocent animal put on this earth, and unfortunately you weren't given the life you deserved. I am sorry that living with us and the boys brought back all of your bad past memories. If I knew and saw what they were doing to you, I would have put a stop to it right then and there. You had such an amazing personality. I personally do not see how someone can be so cruel to a sweet baby girl like you. It still breaks my heart to think that I couldn't save you, how I couldn’t change your life around and finally give you a life you deserved.

The night before we took you to the vets, I didn't sleep one bit. I couldn’t close my eyes, because every time I did, I watched the vet inject you with that lethal substance over and over again. That was too much for me. The morning dad took you, I couldn't stop saying good bye to you. I didnt want to stop hugging and kissing and petting you, because I knew it would be the last time that ever happened. I am also sorry for that, i probably freaked you out more than you needed to be. I cried all day, i had to leave the house because i could not sit there and let my mind run wild while you and dad drove off for the last time.

When dad came home I wanted to know how everything went, but at the same time I really didn’t want to know, I knew once he told me the story it would be real...you would be gone for ever. He handed me your purple collar with your dog tags still on it. I sat on my bed for hours and held it tight in my hands I tried not to let my tears roll off of my face and on to your collar. It still had some of the hair that you shed stuck in it. When I could no longer cry, I took your name tag off of your collar and put it on my key chain. I carry it every single day with me, it some how makes me feel like you will never truly leave me.

Love
Taylor J