“Demands are for terrorists and that is not who we are”

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

I just finished reading an article from Wikipedia about Occupy Wall Street:
Occupy Wall Street. (2011, October 24). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:28, October 24, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Occupy_Wall_Street&oldid=45717...

I agree with this article for many reasons. When people wanted to ask about their goals and demands the protesters weren't clear on what to say, but the reality is they have none. They soon stated: "Demands are for terrorists and that is not who we are." The fact that they don't have demands has made a lot of people look at them iffy, but when I realized what's really happening, I was amazed. They are not here stating how the government should be run. They are here stating that things aren't going the way they should be going and we need a very serious change. The poor remain poor and get more poor while the rich just gather up all the money. I guess they just want a bit more financial equality or stability for the ones who need it the most.

I was astonished to learn that the Occupy Movement is spreading so quickly. In the article they state: “Occupy Wall Street has spread to over 900 cities worldwide!" From my knowledge from a video I have seen and found on you tube, it has spread to major cities all over the country like Boston and D.C. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazhaLD_Daw . A random fact from the video that I just linked to is that they stated that there has been about 800 arrest, and I wonder if that is true, which I'm sure it is.

I found it inspiring that this major movement has no leaders. Which is stated in the Wikipedia article: “Although it was originally proposed by ad busters magazine this demonstration is leaderless.” These are the 99% fighting for what we believe in. It is our country more then anyone else's, and we deserve the opportunity to do something about it.

In another article that I found online, "What is Occupy Wall Street? The history of leaderless movements," By Heather Gautney, published October 10 in the Washington Post, they also speak about how the protest is leaderless: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-leadership/what-is-occupy-wall.... In this article they speak about how it is leaderless with no demands: “This is a leaderless movement without an official set of demands. There are no projected outcomes, no bottom lines and no talking heads. In the Occupy movement, We are all leaders.”

A lot of people see the fact that they have no leader and consider them unorganized. A lot of people find what they are doing pointless and stupid for the fact that they have no demands as well, but in my opinion this is the best way to go about this situation. We have people all over the world listening and wanting to join to help the cause. If we sit here and make demands as if we were some tyrants, who in this government would actually want to listen to us? If anything, they would throw us in jail for coming out aggressive because they might feel threatened.

I have learned a lot from this article on Occupy Wall Street: from doing things the effective way to living life for a bigger purpose. These people are sitting there risking their lives every day to make a difference not only for themselves but for the 99%, for our future, and for our kids: “The next generation.” We shouldn't be living our life this way, and these protesters are paving the way for us all and for our future. They have their own minds and their own opinions, and they aren't scared to shout it out, and I respect that.

Thank you

Submitted by Gabrielle Regenhardt on Mon, 2011-10-31 23:01.

I just wanted to start out by saying thank you Stephanie. I've been aware about the Occupy Wallstreet movement for sometime now, but I had never really taken the time to jump into what it was really about. Like you, I had thought that the protesters weren't clear on what to say at all, and that it was really incredible that such a widespread movement could occur without a head or leader. 

This was a really informational piece that opened up my eyes to the issue and helped me make sense of it all. 

So once again, thank you for taking the time to dive into such a large issue.

-Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Submitted by stephanieb on Tue, 2011-11-01 09:55.

Thank you for your comment. It means a lot. At first I didn't know what was going on, for the first two weeks, while protesters were out there. But as soon as I started hearing about it, I digged deeper into it, and I became very intrigued with what we are doing. I never thought I would see the day that we, as one, stood up and spoke our minds!

i knew about the occupy wall

Submitted by herickv on Tue, 2011-11-01 10:58.

I knew about the Occupy Wall Street protest, but I wasn't sure on what they wanted. Now I understand that they are out there fighting for what a lot of people believe in, but won't say, and that's change in the government.

Herick

Submitted by stephanieb on Wed, 2011-11-02 09:42.

i agree with your comment. Ive been thinking that they wanted to change the government completely but who really knows i think that if that's really want to do then they would keep it a secret anyways

Stephanie good article

Submitted by anthonyf on Tue, 2011-11-01 11:10.

Dear Stephanie,

I think this article was interesting, and I liked how you explained to the people what is going on in New York City (well, everywhere). It was very descriptive, and I thought it was really inspiring to actually have your own way of describing the poor and the rich.

One sentence that stood out for me was: "Occupy Wall Street has spread to over 900 cities worldwide!" I think this is crazy because who knew it would be spread out that far? Actually the world and how the countries and government wants us to keep down and let whatever we deserve. We don't get it.

Another sentence that I thought was very enjoyable was: "A lot of people see the fact that they have no leader and consider them unorganized." This stood out for me because I thought you don't need a leader. Just stand as a group because that's how they see all of us. They don't think of us like individuals. If they do, it's crap.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because we can discuss more about this topic and what the government will do about this. Will the people's voice win this debate about the 99%?

Anthony

Submitted by stephanieb on Wed, 2011-11-02 09:47.

Well im with the 99% all the way so i do hope that this movement increases and something gets done for us, there is alot of people who need this, the country needs this. and your right all of us should stand together as one i think its the only way we can win

Open My Eyes !

Submitted by chappellec on Tue, 2011-11-01 13:04.

I loved your story about the Occupy Wall Street article in Wikipedia, and your point of view from it. You gave a lot of details and proof on what you were talking about.

One of the things you said that stood out to me the most was: "In this article they speak about how it is leaderless with no demands: 'This is a leaderless movement without an official set of demands. There are no projected outcomes, no bottom lines and no talking heads. In the Occupy movement, We are all leaders.'" That stood out too me because it is crazy how they have a movement, well-past a movement with no rules or anything, no set of demands. That's crazy, yet interesting. But in the Occupy company they are all leaders.

Another thing that stood out too me was: "I have learned a lot from this article on Occupy Wall Street: from doing things the effective way to living life for a bigger purpose." I liked what you said because it's true, and it did open my eyes and make me see things the way you do about living life for a bigger purpose.

Overall I love what you said and will be grateful to hear you write some more about your choices and opinions. I hope to see you write more soon.

Chappelle

Submitted by stephanieb on Wed, 2011-11-02 09:55.

i didn't realize how important occupy wall street would be to me and to our world until i began to write these essays. It is true We all have a bigger purpose to life then to be "Flee and ballin" lmfao im corny but you get my point. im glad you enjoyed.