Designer Purses

by: sierrad

Last December I was in Orlando with my family. So my sister, mom, dad and I went to Millennia Mall. This mall has every kind of store you can imagine. Of course there are all the major department stores, Quicksilver, Hollister, Baby Gap and all the usual stores. But then there are stores that are not at most malls, like Coach, Dior, BCBG, Jimmy Choo, Cartier, Salvatore Ferragmo, and many more.

I was really excited because, living in Utah, it’s rare to see so many designer stores in one place. Actually I’ve never seen so many designer stores ever. I was determined to go into every store.  

For a while I had wanted a purse and it was so exciting to be surrounded by so many designer purses (Coach, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.) I knew they were expensive, but I could still look. So I dragged my mother and sister into every store that looked like it might sell purses. After going into every store I found two purses that I liked. One was at Guess and one was at Coach, but I knew my parents would only agree to the one at Guess. My mother was exhausted mentally, so she waited with my sister while I showed my dad the purse at Guess. 

I am extremely indecisive and my dad is a little impatient. So while I was standing there debating I could tell my dad wanted me to just make a decision. I decided I really didn’t like the purse that much and to not buy it. He was disappointed by this because the purse was to be my Christmas present. I said, “Well there is one other purse…”

Twenty minutes later we met back up with my mom. At first she was excited to see the purse I had bought. But once she saw the box she said, “Your dad did NOT buy you a Coach purse!”

Don’t get me wrong, I love my purse and take it everywhere with me, but sometimes it makes me feel guilty. I could have donated the money to a family in Africa to feed them for 6 months to a year. I could have given it to the animal shelter to help buy food. There are so many things I could have done, but didn't. Instead I bought the purse. 

For me the decision to buy the purse was because it was the cutest one I found at the mall (and for some odd reason, my dad was willing to pay for it). For some people having designer items is a matter of status. They feel more confident wearing Prada or Gucci. But you can find very similar clothes at Ross for twenty dollars instead of two hundred. But why do people feel the need to buy expensive designer items when there are so many better things you could spend you money on?

After experiencing life in Asia for the past month or so, I have come to conscious realization that Asians are infatuated with designer bags. It’s not a bad thing. However, with a little knowledge of designer labels, it has become quite obvious that most (not all) aren’t infatuated with the bag or the brand, but with the status the bags bring them. This shouldn’t be too surprising since designer bags have always been a status symbol for women, just as cars have been for men. -Designer Bags: Stares and Status