Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days: Good or Bad?

by: 14BarrosF
Favorite books

Francisco B. from BSGE
October 29, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, Good or bad?

Hello, I have just finished reading this book named, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, written by Jeff Kinney. Let me just say that I think that this book is an excellent book to read. It is about this kid named Gregory Heffley, and his adventures, during his summer time, and how he gets in trouble and stuff, like misunderstandings with his mother, father, and brothers, for example, his mother said that they cannot go to the beach this year and so she takes the whole family to an underwater park that was only for little kids, there are other books before this one, this is the fourth reading book in the series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 1, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Last Straw, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do it yourself book. I mean it is a very good book, it teaches you lessons without them being so obvious and right in front of your face. It also makes you laugh, and makes you like reading, because this book contains the results of a kid that is very wimpy and basically has very bad luck. This book is definitely a five-star book, because in all the books that I have read, I find many mistakes in many of them. but so far, in the series that Mr. Kinney, has written I have not found any times in which I got bored, or in any time that I regretted buying this book from the store. This book has just got a "magical touch" to it, that grabs the attention of any kind of readers, good or bad, so if you are a person that hates to read and you are very reluctant to it, then this is a good book for you, because this book makes you want to read it until it ends. So if you do not go out and read this book, or any part of the series after reading this, then you are really missing out on so much fun because when people read these sort of books, they will find that it is an addiction, and that you cannot help yourself and have to keep reading it until it ends.                     

I think that this book is one of those books that when they are trying to teach you a lesson, they teach it to you, by showing you what the person does and how and why it gets him in trouble. Some books have a very bad way of showing you the lessons, some basically show the lesson in your face, and then make you notice it, like the "Little Red Riding Hood". But this book and its series have not done it, Mr. Kinney, the author, does a very good job, like for example in this book Greg always abuses of his friend Rowley, but Rowley has some strict parents, especially his father, and so for example Greg wants to go to the beach with Rowley and his parents because there is this very cool ride there, that he has been dying to go to, but his mother cannot afford to take the whole family there, and so Greg decides to go with Rowley and his parents, but what happens is that when they get to the cabin in which they were going to stay at, there are no electronic devices there, and so Greg got so upset he sent an e-mail through Rowley's father's e-mail account and so when Rowley's father got an e-mail back, he was pretty mad. So this shows that people should never touch other people's stuff because after that many consequences can occur. But it does not show this in your face, it just gives you what you should not do.

This book is also a pretty funny book because of everything that happens to Gregory Heffley, there is always some silly consequence that normally does not happen to anyone, but only to him. Like for example, Greg wanted a dog, so he begged his uncle, to convince his dad, into getting him one, and so his uncle goes and tells the dad but it was not at the very best moment , because when he tells the father, the father fell on the floor, because he got startled. By doing this the uncle sent Greg's campaign of getting a dog, back a long time, but how Mr. Kinney describes, Greg's feelings at the moment he makes it sound like a very funny comedy show. I guess only some authors have the ability of not getting you to sleep, with their work. Out of 100, I give this book a 900 on the aspect of being funny because it was just a great book. It was funny but yet serious at making a point get across at the same time. I really do wish that Mr. Kinney keeps writing even more, Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, because they are for children and they can help children in relating from things to things. 

I do recommend this book to other people because I found this book to be a great and very funny yet serious book. I hope everyone in the world would read it and the other books in the series. I want this because it would help entertain the kids, and help them to at least look forward into reading a book, because many kids these days, want to only see violent or naughty television shows, but this book and the other books in the series, would help the kids forget about those kinds of television shows, and they would like it. So if you read this, I hope that you go out and buy, rent, or do anything in order to get yourself with the whole series of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. They are just really good, they make you want to call the author, when you finish a book, and ask him why the other book, the sequel that you want to read, has not come out yet. This is pretty exciting. I really do hope that you read the book. 

I like your writing

Submitted by dwilliams on Wed, 2015-03-18 12:26.

Dear Francisco B,

I am interested in your post. I also really like this book too. I really liked how you made reasons why the book is good.They were very solid reasons, you also talked a lot about the characters also.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Some books have a very bad way of showing you the lessons, some basically show the lesson in your face, and then make you notice it, like the "Little Red Riding Hood".

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, I had to read books and write about them a lot.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you explain what you are writing very well.