Digital Citizenship - Digital Access

by: stelaz

Digital Access

Breif Explanation and Something New I lEarned x] : 

The "digital divide" is the gap between people who have possibilities to access technology and those who do not. The ones who can reach modern technology have access to telephones, internet, television, mobiles and many others. The digital divide is very noticeable comparing people in cities and in rural areas.

"People are also becoming addicted to the internet. Recent research data from china a says that 13.7% of Chinese teenagers meet the criteria for Internet Addiction. This is about 10 million people. China has such a serious problem that they have introduced internet addiction clinics to deal with the rapidly growing amount of internet addicts.The symptoms are both physical and mental. What most people online who think they are addicted are probably suffering from is the desire to not want to deal with other problems in their lives. Those problems may be a mental disorder (depression, anxiety, etc.), a serious health problem or disability, or a relationship problem. It is no different than turning on the TV so you won't have to talk to your spouse, or going "out with the boys" for a few drinks so you don't have to spend time at home. Nothing is different except the modality. What some very few people who spend time online without any other problems present may suffer from is compulsive over-use. Compulsive behaviors, however, are already covered by existing diagnostic categories and treatment would be similar. It's not the technology (whether it be the Internet, a book, the telephone, or the television) that is important or addicting -- it's the behavior. And behaviors are easily treatable by traditional cognitive-behavior techniques in psychotherapy."

i dont think people are

Submitted by mkos2825 on Tue, 2010-05-04 16:05.

i dont think people are getting addicted to the internet but i do think people are abusing it and using for false purposes.

I feel as if people are not

Submitted by NavjotV on Mon, 2010-05-17 16:07.

I feel as if people are not addicted to the mordern day technology, it could just be that they are using it the wrong entirely and utterly wrong way as said by the [person] above!! :D