The Dilemma

I created the Scratch animation The Dilemma as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which a character makes the right decision. Also an ethical story relates to a moral.

My story is about a boy that is poor that goes to high school and has two friends that are poor like him as well. The story takes place in many places the park, school, house the main problem that the character has is that he must decide if he wants to join a gang or not because his friends joined and got a lot of money for becoming drug dealers.

My story was inspired by a television show in which i saw that this kids mother was crying because her son joined a gang with his friends and was arrested and sentenced to jail for ten years. So i decided that i would make similar scenario except with different people.

I think I was successful in creating my story because first of all it functioned correctly. Also i think that my story was successful because i followed all of the requirements that Shantanu gave us. I also think it was successful because i finished my story in time and uploaded it in time.

Response to Ethical Story

16yanv's picture
Submitted by 16yanv on Thu, 2012-01-05 19:32.

I liked the characters in the animation, because they were very well-drawn. I noticed that you could have colored in some of the characters better. It was a bit distracting on how their faces blended into the background. The ethical dilemma in your story is to not do drugs. I understood the choices and the wrong choices were tempting. The mechanism for making choices was clear.

The Dilemma

16brooksm's picture
Submitted by 16brooksm on Wed, 2012-01-04 22:29.

I enjoyed the interesting dialogue of classic teenage boys trying to be "gangsters". The plot development moved smoothly and nicely and the animation was cool. I noticed that you could have colored in the sprites better. I also noticed that there are few times when characters disappear and talk a bit out of timing, but it's not a big deal. The ethical dilemma in your story is that a boy must decide whether to sell illegal drugs with his friends for money because he is poor or not to. If he does sell the drugs he is putt jail, if he does not his is given a job so that he will eventually not be so poor anymore. The basic moral of the story is to not deal drugs no matter what your situation is because it will just make things worse. I understood the choices and the wrong one was tempting. The mechanism for making the choices was clear.

I really liked the situation

16lim's picture
Submitted by 16lim on Thu, 2012-01-05 21:43.

I really liked the situation that you came up with because it's realistic and it could happen to anyone. The guy just wanted to fit in with his friends and get some cash, but then he would be breaking the law. This was a really interesting story. I was confused by the dialogue. You should definitely include punctuation into the dialogue. I also agree with the other users that you really could have spent more time on your sprites and made them a lot better. The ethical dilemma in your story was very understandable. The choices were to join the gang or to not join the gang. The wrong choice was a little tempting because I wouldn't fit in with my friends nor will I gain money. The mechanism was clear. I had to press a key to make a choice and I made the right one!

Enjoyable Story

16silval's picture
Submitted by 16silval on Fri, 2012-01-06 07:44.

I found that the art was very enjoyable.
I confused by that sometimes it would be hard to see the character's face due to the art/.
The ethical dilemma in your story was relatable because you can see it borders on peer pressure. All your friends are doing it and why shouldn't you too. Plus you get money, but if you don't, you know you stood up against peer pressure and drugs and said no.

Reply

17ohs's picture
Submitted by 17ohs on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:34.

Your ethical dilemma was relatable probably for other teens, since it was concerned with drugs. I compliment you on that.Your ethical dilemma was pretty simple, though. Maybe you should make the kid have more pressure and make the decision more harder.

ethical dilemma

17kimjm's picture
Submitted by 17kimjm on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:49.

i like how the characters are talking to eachother and how they show and ethical dilemma scene. I think the ethical dilemma is how either join he gang or not.

This animation was good. The

Submitted by 17liangs on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:51.

This animation was good. The story was good and that's how most people trick you into doing such things. The only thing is like is it really right for people of all ages. Maybe you could have been a little softer with your choice of words. Other than that it was a pretty good animation.
The ethical story of the story was very good. Many people are normally pressured by friends to do such things. So it wasn't exactly the easiest decision for him to make. So the animation was pretty good overall.

Animation

17hamlinj's picture
Submitted by 17hamlinj on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:54.

I liked how the animation had some realisticness but was also a bit unrealistic.
I think the ethical dilemma was good. It happens a lot and it is difficult to choose correctly.

Ethical Dilemma

Submitted by 17carusonem on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:57.

I like your animation because it depicts a very common dilemma that sometimes people get dragged into. Some don't realize how serious it is, but this animation shows the advantages of not being a follower. Your two choices were either to join the gang, or stay away from it. These choices were really the only ones you could pick in a situation like this. But I like the different outcomes for both of the decisions. They show that if you follow the bad side, you might have fun for a while, but get in trouble in the end. And if you follow the good side, there will most likely be a time where you might regret what you did, but it will eventually pay off.

Great Story

Submitted by 17gamboam on Wed, 2012-05-02 23:25.

I found that the moral of the story was very important, and you presented it in a good way. I like how the guy comes upon it by asking how his friends had money, and it was then where the ethical dilemma came to me. Both situations flowed nicely, and they clearly showed the consequences of doing and selling the illegal drugs.