Directly After My Father

by: jserrano

My name is Jose Manuel Serrano, I was named directly after my father. Growing up, I always preferred to be alone, but I always achieved more than my siblings. My father always saw my potential and was never short on praise. Now, I’m 18 and the best reward I can get is my father telling me how proud he is of me. I joined the Army in 2013 and I just finished Basic Combat Training in 2014 and my father reminds me, everyday that he wishes he could go back in time and change the way he handled his life. He says he was blessed with his job but if he did what I was doing, he'd be happier. Hearing that from my father changed the way I look at my life.

Dear Jose serrano I am very

Submitted by spineda on Wed, 2014-10-08 11:33.

Dear Jose serrano

I am very impressed with the way you executed the reasoning of your name. because some of your words fit to exactly what you were saying and feeling about your name.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Growing up, I always preferred to be alone, but I always achieved more than my siblings.” with this sentence i feel like you wore your name so proudly that you had to be on top of whatever you were doing to make not only yourself , but others proud as well.

Your poem reminds me of exactly what i went through. i felt like i had this beautiful name that i had no choice but to make a name for myself , and to go for bigger and better. i can relate to this in so many ways because i always knew i would become more than my siblings or parents thought i would and you proved yourself in various amazing ways and anyone should should be very proud of the person you made yourself to be.

Thanks for your writing! i look forward to reading what you write in the near future lol!

Shocked!

lhiciano's picture
Submitted by lhiciano on Thu, 2014-10-09 14:48.

Dear Jose:

I am shocked with your post directly after my father," because its incredible.When i finished reading this post i was surprised.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is:My father always saw my potential and was never short on praise.

Another sentence that I enjoyed reading was: "I joined the Army in 2013 and I just finished Basic Combat Training in 2014 and my father reminds me, everyday that he wishes he could go back in time and change the way he handled his life.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me.Thanks for your writing.

I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you write with full potential and i just enjoyed reading this post.