To-Do Things that She Doesn't Want To Do

Jul 3, 2009
by: JHuang2

Many of the pages that I read in the book Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan have been interesting. The book talks lots about the story of the author's mother and her mother's mother. Many times when reading this book I ask myself, "What does the author want us, the readers to know and what feelings should we get after reading?" The author has done a very good job of writing different types of things that don't connect to each other after 151 page of reading. Overall the book has been great, and I will continue read the rest of it.

I am not so enjoying the book Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan because I'm not finding a theme to connect the different stories. An example of what I mean can be found on page 146: "Three days after watching The Ed Sullivan Show my mother told me what my schedule would be for piano lessons..." I think this is the worst thing that a mother can do to because telling someone in the same family to do something that you think is what they should do is the same as saying when you should live or die. The idea between both of these example are pretty much the same.    

One of the big ideas or themes in this book is telling of stories between a mother and a daughter   You can see this on page 150 where it says: "Bravo! Bravo! Well done! but I saw my mothers face, her stricken face." As you can see Tan wants us to think about how much she cares about how her mother feels even now. She sometimes may not have liked what she has done.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because it can help me better understand what the author wants us readers to know and feel.