Do you have to love yourself before loving someone else?

by: piequa

“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” - Lucille Ball

I am interested in the topic, “Do You Have to Love Yourself Before Loving Someone else?” because it is a question that I always think about. I heard about this from my yoga instructor; She gives good advice, and this one comment she gave made me interested in this topic. I think that there are a lot of opinions on this topic; Some people may think yes or no, and some people may think yes and no.

I know very little about this topic. I always think to my to myself, how can you not love yourself, but love someone else? I believe that you have to love yourself before you can love someone else. I believe this because if you don’t love yourself, how will you know when someone loves you?

The first source I came upon was an article titled, “Do you need to love yourself before you can love someone else?” I find it interesting that this article argues: “When you basically love and accept yourself, you don’t need the approval or acceptance of someone else, though it always feels good to have.” I think that this quote is saying that you don’t need to be loved by someone else if you love yourself. Many people think that they have to be loved by someone, and if they don’t feel loved they stress out; When you love yourself, you have self-confidence, and you don’t need to feel the love of someone else to be happy, even though it would be nice to feel loved.

The second source I found while researching was an article titled, “You don’t need to love yourself first.”This article goes against my topic which was also helpful. One quote that I found interesting was: “The real truth is that many people learn to love themselves by first being loved by another.” I agree with this quote, but then again I disagree. I agree with this quote because if you get hurt by someone, you become stronger, and you learn about how to deal with things. When you become stronger and wiser, you then realize that you don’t need someone else’s love, and the important thing is to love yourself.

“Why real love requires self love” is an article I found that argues for my topic. “Which is why real love requires that we love ourselves in the right way, so we can have the strength to love, the wisdom to love, and the energy to love those who need our love the most,” was an interesting quote that I found. It is interesting because I agree with this quote. I think that this quote is trying to say, when you are able to love yourself, then you have every reason to show your love to the most important people.

“If you’re not connected to who you really are, how the heck are you going to connect with someone else?” stated an article, “Loving yourself - How important is it? Can you love someone else if you don’t love yourself?” This article also goes for my topic. I believe that this quote is saying if you can't cope with yourself, how will you be able to cope with someone else? I agree with this because if you don't have love for yourself, I don't think you will be able to give love to someone else.

While reading another article on, “Loving yourself - How important is it? Can you love someone else if you don’t love yourself?” this quote stood out to me: “No one is ever going to love you more than you love yourself. In other words, until you’re 100 percent into YOU, no one else will be.” This quote stood out to me because I agree with it.

During my research I found a lot of opinions and different debates. I agreed with a lot of articles that went for and against my topic. My opinion is that you hold love yourself before loving someone else. I say this because you are supposed to be superior to yourself and self-confidence. You should always love yourself, and when you love yourself enough our heart will allow you to love others.

Love is a tricky topic, and

Submitted by Shannon on Thu, 2012-05-17 23:21.

Love is a tricky topic, and it's different for every person or every set of people.True love isn't a prince charming rescuing the princess, it's the prince and the princess working equally to kick the dragons butt so they both can escape. There's a famous quote that says "Love is putting another before oneself". But in order for love to work both of the parties involved must put the other first. But as to your question if t's possible to love someone else without loving yourself, love is the very thing that makes this world go round, and if you don't love yourself then I would guess you wouldn't know how to identify love for what it truly is. Because you don't even love yourself. I know a girl who has told m "I don't feel loved unless someone is kissing me, touching me." and to some extent even using her body. Keep in mind she's 14, and honestly one of the most unhappy people I've ever known. But then again there's also the stories of older siblings who have terrible self image but have younger brothers or sisters that they mean the world to them, which I think brings up another point, what kind of love are you talking about? Because even though yo can't really classify love into categories is platonic? Romantic? Something inbetween? My poinion is that it is possible to fall for someone while having a bad self inamge but the love won't work out, until you learn to love yourself