Does racism still exist in America?

by: sabmar

Something that has been running through my mind and probably on yours is does racism still exist in America? Racism is a very strong word to use I have to say, but there have been a lot of unfairness and discriminations throughout the years in America. Which is what makes me interested in this topic the unfairness people receive from other people because the color of their skin. Some people I know have experienced unfair acts because of the content of their skin.

Many people know that racism has occurred in the past when African Americans were treated unfairly being segregated from the opposite race. But most of that changed when people began to fight for equal rights having boycotts, protests, and consistently having those individuals who were racist know that they deserved equal rights as well as they did. And until they receive justice they were going to have their voices heard to receive justice.

While researching my topic, I came across an article called “Does racism still exist in America?”(Allison McCormick) she stated a few good points: “Racism does still exist in the U.S. Many races converse with other people of there race about another race.” I agree with this statement, yes racism still exist in America because many races talk about other races, and most of the time its not positive. Another sentence that I agree with McCormick on was “Any race can try anything, but there are still going to be those people who just converse with each other about other races. It's definitely not only the Caucasian race it's basically every race. The African-American race makes fun of the Caucasian and Latino races. The latino race makes fun of the Caucasian and African American races.” I agree with this statement because this is definitely true there will always be those individuals who talk about other races, and believe it or not every race does it.

Another article I read was “Racism still exist in America?”(Mitch Jones) he wrote a statement that really caught my attention and think “We need to remember that, not so long ago, this country was split along racial lines and the politics of the day reflected such a split. The racist element in America was still strong as recently as the 1960s. These days, it is unpopular for a politician to be openly racist, but it does not mean there aren't racist politicians.” It wasn’t too long ago that this country was split because of racial differences politically, but now it isn’t known for a politician to be racist but this doesn’t mean there aren’t any racist politicians.

Another article I read was “Does racism still exist in America?”(Contributor) this person provided accurate information that caught my attention”People of European decent have rarely been kind to minorities in the past, and with groups such as the Ku Klux Klan and American Neo-Nazis still in existance, it’s hard to believe people are really over racism.” Are you serious these racist groups are still present till this day, well there's your proof there are still racist people her in America.

Another article that I read was “In the aftermath of Trayvon's death, more families are having "the talk,"(Yamiche Alcindor) teaching sons to be aware of their race, avoid confrontations with authority figures, and to remain calm in situations even if their rights are violated.”As most of you may know a young African American teenage boy named Trayvon Martin was gun down by a caucasian man named Zimmerman because he was walking in a suburban neighborhood, and supposedly he was acting of suspicious matter. Now his family is fighting for justice for their son, but now the talk in African American homes is avoid confrontations with authority figures and try and remain cooperative when you know for a fact your rights are being violated. It’s amazing how certain races have to act a certain way when there with authority when authority is supposed to keep us safe.

In the last article I read was “Racism”, (YGarcia) the writer provided a really good statement which wrote “Racism” a very strong word for everyone around the world. There have been a lot of unfairness and discriminations through out the years.” This statement is true racism is a very strong word just to use, but there have been a lot of unfairness and discrimination.

After doing all this research and reading all these articles, I’ve come to a conclusion that racism still exist here in America, but its not so expressed as before in the past. But we as the people need to come together and end this its been done in the past and it can be done now. Certain colored people should not have to act a certain way when being stopped by authority. So we the people need to end this we're all the same race, the human race.

WORKS CITED:

Research for “Does racism still exist in America?”

Article 1:

Allison McCormick. “Does racism still exist?”. Matchless magazine. May 15, 2011. April 6 2012.
Racism does still exist in the U.S. Many races converse with other people of there race about another race.
Any race can try anything, but there are still going to be those people who just converse with each other about other races. It's definitely not only the Caucasian race it's basically every race. The African-American race makes fun of the Caucasian and Latino races. The latino race makes fun of the Caucasian and African American races.
The reason I think there is still racism is because some people might not show it but they would act different towards another race and treat that person or race a different way than they treat other races.

Article 2:

Mitch Jones. “Racism still exists in the United States?” Trinicenter. December 31, 2002. April 7,2012.

We need to remember that, not so long ago, this country was split along racial lines and the politics of the day reflected such a split. The racist element in America was still strong as recently as the 1960s. These days, it is unpopular for a politician to be openly racist, but it does not mean there aren't racist politicians.

Article 3:

Contributor. “Does racism still exist in the United States?” NewsFlavor. July 5, 2009. April 9, 2012.

People of European decent have rarely been kind to minorities in the past, and with groups such as the Ku Klux Klan and American Neo-Nazis still in existance, it’s hard to believe people are really over racism.

Article 4:

Yamiche Alcindor. “Trayvon Martin's father says he warned son about stereotypes”. Detroit Free Press. April 14, 2012. April 14, 2012.

Years before the killing of Trayvon Martin grabbed the nation's attention, the teen's father warned him that his race could make him a target of violence.
In the aftermath of Trayvon's death, more families are having "the talk," teaching sons to be aware of their race, avoid confrontations with authority figures, and to remain calm in situations even if their rights are violated.
"I've always let him know we as African Americans get stereotyped,"

"I told him that society is cruel."

Article 5:

YGarcia. “Racism”. YouthVoices. December 10, 2008. April 14, 2012.

Racism” a very strong word for everyone around the world. There have been a lot of unfairness and discriminations through out the years.

Dear MariamaI am frustrated

Submitted by wildav on Thu, 2012-04-19 08:46.

Dear Mariama

I am frustrated about this post because it gets me mad how racism still exist in the world, not just America, but the world, everyone is equal.

One quote you wrote: "Many people know that racism has occurred in the past when African Americans were treated unfairly being segregated from the opposite race." This is so true but now in days racism is not only with African Americans but with everyone, even racist to white people.

Another sentence that impacts me is: "As most of you may know a young African-American teenage boy named Trayvon Martin was gun down."

I say yes, racism still exists in America and a lot of the world. Racism is not something material, it’s and emotion or feeling tours someone of a kind you don’t like, back in the days there were some racist laws, the government was racist, but now everybody is equal. but some people just don’t like a certain kind of people. Black people still get racist comment, not only black people but spanish people too, everyone has being discriminated in some type of way, can be for color, the way you look.

racism

Submitted by tatianar on Mon, 2012-04-23 12:46.

Dear,Does racist still exist in america

I am not surprised by your curiosity of the big question with your post Does racism still exist in america.I am not surprised because I already knew the answer to that.As you said it might

Racism Still Exists

Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 2012-09-17 21:35.

I just came across this discussion...I knew that it did still exist on a small scale- hearing racial slurs and whatnot, but this tragedy in our small town has proved that it is indeed still alive on a much bigger scale than I had imagined...I thought I would share...

http://www.starfl.com/articles/hate-25255-butler-crime.html