Drug Testing in Utah Schools

More and more Utah school districts are making the decision to enforce random drug testing. Students who participate in sports and other extracurricular activities are subject to drug testing in Weber, Ogden, Cache, Box Elder, Rich, Murray and Uintah districts. The Duchesne School District is considering taking up drug testing as well. "We want students, if they’re participating in an athletic event or whatever it is, we want them to be safe. If they’re under the influence, they’re not safe to themselves or others," said Bruce Guymon, Duchesne’s director of student services. "We like to hold our student-athletes and other participants in extracurricular activities to a higher standard because they represent their school district and their school." Although the amount of school districts that are drug testing is small, it is growing rapidly. However, some schools aren't drug testing simply because of the cost. Each drug tests costs around $25. But some school districts, such as Murray, also test for steroids. These tests cost around $100 each. This rounds out to be around $6,000 a year. At Box Elder High School, students pay an annual fee to cover the cost of drug tests. Fifteen students a week are chosen at random to be drug tested. However, very few students test positive.

Wow sounds reasonable

anthonyf's picture
Submitted by anthonyf on Mon, 2012-02-27 11:26.

Dear Cassandra

This is very amusing to me because why would they do drug testing if it just school , i think they should drug test and all that when they go to college or the Professional League. It sounds reasonable at some point but than outrageous because who would do steroids at such a young age , when your body is active all the time.

One sentence that stood out for me is "However, very few students test positive." Wow so people actually get caught doing it but why? When your young your body is at is healthiest. why do steroids to get more strong. It does not make sense.

This reminds of a time when i was young and i wanted to be stronger and people related to that , and i thought wow if it really does help. why doesn't everybody do so. The reason why was because it can cause many defects to the body and become very bad for your health.

i hope to hear more about this topic and what your thoughts on my post.

Dear Cassandra Reading Your

nataliema's picture
Submitted by nataliema on Mon, 2012-02-27 12:16.

Dear Cassandra
Reading Your Post "Drug Testing in Utah Schools" really caught my attention for the fact that a lot of people do drugs.I'm not saying drug testing "in school" is a good thing I personally think this is a crazy thing to do I mean in school ? Really .! I don't think your personal life style should have anything to do with your education as in being in school.In a job it would be more understandable but yet again as long as your not under the influence while being at work. Like I said that's just my point of view/Opinion.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "However, some schools aren't drug testing simply because of the cost." So just because of the cost they aren't drug testing? If it was that important to people it shouldn't matter the cost. Its more understandable if students are participating in sports or bands.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was attending a high school in Indio, California and so they say a teacher stopped me and said I smelled like marijuana,they took pictures of me and my name. The teacher tried so hard to get my drug test by the school district but it never happened. I don't even do drugs she assumed but yet again i have my legal rights and unless I am not in a sport I am not forced to get drug tested if i didn't want to i had all my rights to say no.

Dear Cassandra, I was shocked

Submitted by josev on Mon, 2012-02-27 12:25.

Dear Cassandra,

I was shocked with your post "Drug Testing in Utah Schools" because I dont think they should have the right to give students drug test in schools as long as they are not doing drugs in the school it shouldn't be a problem. On top of that they have to pay for it I wouldn't even put a cent into something like that because its just not right at all.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is " These tests cost around $100 each". this stood out for me because i cant believe they have students paying for these.thanks for your writing. i look forward to seeing what you write next because I really enjoyed reading this.

Dear Cassandra, I think that

Submitted by lifeinthe21 on Mon, 2012-02-27 13:31.

Dear Cassandra,
I think that drug testing in schools is not a good idea. I know they want to keep us safe and protect us but in a way they are only fueling the fire for students to take drugs. Kids like to live on the edge, if they know they can get caught then they find thrill in evading it. It is also a waste of money for the schools. They could be spending money on new educational programs instead of trying to catch the one or two students who are doing the drugs. The schools need to take a step back and look at the reality and what is the best decision for everyone.