Dystopian Warning

by: slweyrich

There are still very modern dystopian societies. One of the biggest traits of a dystopian society is there is always a caste system between high, middle, and lower class. For example, 27 percent of Indians still practice Caste untouchability. But this survey also packs a few other surprises. It shows almost every third Hindu (30 percent) admitted to the practice. Data from the survey showed that untouchability was also practiced by Sikhs (23 percent), Muslims (18 percent) and Christians (5 percent). Ravi Agrawal from CNN, stated “the system forced so-called "untouchables" to clean public toilets was outlawed, and while the importance of one's caste was eroding as India grew more middle class, we still knew caste was everywhere” (http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/28/asia/india-gujarat-caste-protests/). Another example of caste system is in America. “The new American Caste System is self-perpetuating” (http://www.opednews.com/articles/The-Developing-New-America-by-Sam-Amer-...). At the bottom, economically and politically speaking, there is the lowest class. The largest class, what we would today call the middle class, is the class that both contains the most persons and performs most of the work in the economy, ranging from skilled labor to skilled professional work. The highest class is always the class of political elites. They seek to preserve the caste system that keeps them in power, and they always endeavor to force the middle class and lower class, or the masses, to support them financially. Although it is not as big of a presence in certain areas, caste systems still exist in every ones everyday lifetime. Whether it be from being a senior or freshman in high school, to the status of your job at work. The Caste System is very much similar to the faction system in "Divergent". It is similar to the faction system because there are five separate factions within the caste system. The similarity to "Divergent" is very evident in the fact that there are "faction-less" which are the lowest class possible in Futuristic Chicago.

Great Examples

Submitted by emilydecarolis on Fri, 2015-12-11 14:51.

I thought that your point was very valid. I liked how you cited from the news articles and explained your examples. I agree with the idea that there is a hierarchal system in place still today and that it is very prevalent in the minority groups. Do you think that the system will stay in place and if so do you think that it will get even worse. That is something that I'm worried about and I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I liked how informative your

Submitted by Amy_Cremer on Fri, 2015-12-11 15:11.

I liked how informative your post was. I never realized before how evident caste systems still are in our daily lives, even though, living in America doesn't have the same type of caste as living in India. Well done!

I found this very

Submitted by Mackenziedaily on Sat, 2015-12-12 16:15.

I found this very interesting. You had great facts and details about the caste systems. I also liked how you included the different types of caste systems in our every day life such as school, work, etc. I think that it is all around us and we don't always notice how we are in a caste system. I think that the Upper, Middle, and Lower class of the American economy is also a caste system. However, it is definitely more predominate in other countries, and I feel that the caste system in other countries is more like what is mentioned in Dystopian books. Overall, I really enjoied reading this.