What are the negative effects of higher education?

Harvard

The author states that “At one time or the other an individual must take or be involved in voluntary actions that are intended to help or benefit another individual or group of persons, this is referred to as prosocial behavior”. The Unabomber didn’t have these skills whatsoever. He tried to avoid people because he felt as though he was smarter than everyone around him. The author explains the importance of having different types of intelligence such as emotional intelligence and social intelligence. These types of intelligence areas are not focused on in a “prestigious” college atmosphere. Rather intelligence is based purely on test scores and grades. This is part of the reason why students at prestigious schools tend to be more socially awkward. The fact is that schools don’t teach these types of intelligence.

Click here to annotate this article together on hypothes.is | Source Psychological Thought, 2013, Vol. 6(1), doi:10.5964/psyct.v6i1.53 Received: 29 November 2012. Accepted: 17 February 2013. Published (electronic): 30 April 2013. *Corresponding author at: Department of Pure and Applied Psychology, Adekunle Ajasin University, P.M.B. 001 Akungba-Akoko, 34-234 Ondo State, Nigeria. E-mail: afolabi95@yahoo.co.uk