EBSCO Research Results

To start, I should reemphasize my research question: how drastic should life-sustaining measures be for patients who are brain dead?

I know your initial thoughts must be, "Wow, that is a heavy topic for mere high school research" or "how will you find good research on that topic?" First, yes, it is a very loaded but a very intriguing topic to me at the same time. Second, thankfully, my English teacher Mr. Sloan has some research tricks up his sleeve and was willing to share them with my class!

This week, I researched a database called "EBSCO." My initial impressions were of awe; its online array of sources is so expansive and relevant to virtually anything you type in the search bar. I was pleased to have discovered more knowledge about my topic. What I learned is that the term "brain death" is shifting more into a new definition in the modern age, as significant advances in research is being made about the biology of the brain in a state of decreased function and how it can be "reversed." After reading some research about modern advances, I thought about how that related to my topic of how much is too much, if at all, in prolonging the life of a person already declared "dead" or in a vegetative state. This new information raised new questions because if medical technology is advancing so much that some brain function can be restored after it has been said to be permanently gone, is it a better idea to use our resources to keep brain dead patients alive longer to possibly restore their neurological functionality? This new research has directed my argumentative essay into a more firm direction in what points I would like to address and why.