Ecotourism

by: Jillian

The environment is a topic that is on everyone's lips these days.  Poeple are finding ways to be more "green" and eco-friendly.  One of these things that is becoming very popular is ecotourism.  This is where people go on vacation, but are wise about it and find ways to produce less of an effect on the environment.  People travel to protected areas such as parts of rainforests and while there, the traveler is educated about the environment.  The money that the traveler spends goes to the conservation of the protected area. 

It helps educate the traveler; provides funds for conservation; directly benefits the economic development and political empowerment of local communities; and fosters respect for different cultures and for human rights

Ecotourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While on your "green" vacation, you can be very involved with nature and figure out ways to be a more positive member of the planet.  The flora and fauna are the main thing to see on these trips so make sure you love nature and are willing to get your hands dirty.  The rewards and positive impacts are definitely worth it.  It will really open your eyes to the impacts that are affacting the Earth. 

According to the definition and principles of ecotourism established by The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) in 1990, ecotourism is "Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people."

Ecotourism is a responsible way to travel if you want to see nature at it's best.  It gives you many opportunities that wouldn't knock if you went on a regular vacation.  It gives you an excuse to travel and see the world.  While traveling "eco-tourism" style, you have the chance to volunteer your time to do something really beneficial to the world.  You can help the flora and fauna of the world that are close to extinction.  You can take a river rafting trip that sends the money to help preserve a forest.  There are so many ways to get involved with ecotourism. 

Ecotourism benefits societies also.  Jobs are created through this travel industry in poor countries rich in beautiful nature.  The local people are able to give the visitors a real hands on experience.  The people are educated right from the locals.  That is the best way to learn.  When people learn about the environment and what can be done to help, they bring those thoughts back home with them.  These thoughts are shared and pretty soon, new trends show up of people making a positive difference.  From buying products from companies that practice "green" meathods to just recycling more, the whole world is getting involved. 

By recognizing the importance of protecting biological diversity, ecotourism is raising appreciation for biological resources and leading to better conservation practices by developing country populations.

Benefits

Ecotourism brings about many postivite changes.  The visitors are educated, the environment is being preserved, standard of living is going up in the countries visited, and there is international support.  The trend of ecotourism needs to keep increasing and people will be able to see a visible change for the good very soon.  In Australia alone, there are over 600 ecotourism operations.  Just think of the number in other places of the world.  Ecotourism and is a fun way to help the environment and we should all take a trip to Austrailia, South America, or any other place that has ecotourism.  We have been entrusted with this planet and we need to take care of it.