Elie Wiesel's descriptions invite us to live his story

by: Hannah M

The book Night, by Elie Wiesel is a very touching memoir. It brings tears to your eyes as you read it. Elie Wiesel was just a teenager when he and his family were taken away from their home and put in the most horrible concentration camp, Auschwitz. He witnessed many horrific scenes while being put into a concentration camp.

Some of the horrors that Elie witnessed included “watching infants being tossed into the air and used as targets for the machine guns”(pg.6). As I read his story a question kept popping into my head, “What would I do if I was in his position?” He experienced something very tragic, seeing his own parents die, witnessing the murders of many innocent prisoners and even being separated from those that he had gotten close to.

I would recommend this book to a friend because this really is a very touching story. It teaches you about the Holocaust and you get to experience how it was through the eyes of one teenage boy. Many bad things happened during the Holocaust, many prisoners were killed if they were tired or too sick to work and most of the time because they were Jewish.

Elie recounts how “they were forced to dig trenches…without passion or haste, they shot their prisoners, who were forced to approach the trench one by one and offer their necks ”(pg.6). They were forced to work for endless hours and were forced to dig their own graves.

I appreciated the way the author used really good descriptive writing throughout the book. That really helped me understand the book better and made the book come to life for me. His writing became very real and vivid to me which made me feel as if I had switched roles with Elise Wiesel. I think that the author may have used such descriptive writing because he wanted people to live his story and also fully grasp the feeling of what many innocent Jews like himself went through.