Elsewhere

by: Elan

Elsewhere is a story about a girl named Elizabeth or Lizzie. She is a fifteen year old girl. She died in car accident when she was riding her bike to the mall to meet up with her best friend Zoey. The beginning of the book starts with Lizzie waking up on a boat wearing strange pajamas. She was in a room with a girl that was around her age. Later in the story she finds out the girl's name is Thandi and she is 17 years old. She died by getting shot in the head while she was walking with her boyfriend. While they are on the boat they meet a old musician named Curtis Jest. He died of a drug overdose. When they got off the boat they were in Elsewhere.

The first chapters of Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin might leave the reader feeling confused because you don’t really understand why and how Lizzie and the others got on the boat. An example of this is on page " ‘Excuse me’, Liz asks, ‘ but would you happen to know where we are?’ ” This is confusing because if Lizzie doesn’t know where they are then how is the reader supposed to know. However later in the story Lizzie finds out that she was on S.S. Nile.

A reader’s questions might start on page 46 where it says “Although Liz has never seen Betty before, something about the woman reminds Liz of her own”(Zevin). This is important because this is when Lizzie sees Betty Bloom for the first time.Betty Bloom ends up taking care of Liz while she is in Elsewhere. After this part, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because they will wonder about Liz and how her life in Elsewhere is. They might also wonder if she sees her family again.

Dear Elan: I am confused

Submitted by Charmaine on Wed, 2013-05-29 12:51.

Dear Elan:

I am confused about your post, "Elsewhere," because how can you wake up in the middle of nowhere on a ship, that you have never seen until now when you wake up. Thats kind of confusing like how did she get their. Was she suppose to be kidnapped and turn into a sex slave.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "While they are on the boat they meet a old musician named Curtis Jest. He died of a drug overdose." I think this is impressive because when I read it I went like what to ohhh how did he know he died because of drug overdose.

Another sentence that I liked was: "When they got off the boat they were in Elsewhere." This stood out for me because what was Elsewhere. I had questions like was this their after life. Was it for young people or for everyone?

I do agree with you that this is a confusing story. One reason I say this is how do you end up on a ship and don't know how. Until you wrote about how people end up dead. Another reason I agree with you is readers like me will read this because I am curious about how things started and ended in the book.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post are very interesting. It encourage me to read books I probably wont read.

Dear Elan, I am quite

Submitted by Alexandria on Thu, 2013-06-06 23:02.

Dear Elan,

I am quite interested in your book because it is like a world full of souls and Elsewhere is a world that only souls can enter. But I wonder...Can they see everyone that is alive?