Endangered Elephants

by: Jillian

While flipping through an old National Geographic magazine, I saw an article on elephants. The question struck me. Are our generations kids going to see elephants?  I wanted to find out.  While researching the topic, I found out that elephants only inhabit Africa and Asia and only travel in herds.  To survive they need a lot of space in roam around and a lot of food.  They eat up to 300lbs of food a day. 

"Elephants, in fact, place such great demands on their own environment that in order to survive, they frequently come into conflict with people who are competing for many of the same, often scarce, resources." http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/finder/elephants/elephants.html

WWF (world widelife fund) does a lot to help save elephants from being pushed out of their land.  They address the key issues of man and other realities.  Besides elephants, WWF helps many other species of animals.  WWF has a program called AREAS (Asian rhinos and elephants action strategy) that is specifically geard to help elephants and rhinos.  Through AREAS, there is new hope for these animals. 

"This ambitious Program brings together cutting edge conservation biology with trade monitoring, socio-economic analysis, and policy advocacy." http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/finder/elephants/elephants.html

There is also and African Elephant Program that deals with problems in Africa.  The forests and savanas are protectd to provide a home for the african elephants. Projects are done to help improve the conditions of the current situations of management and protection.  This program also prevents illegal trading from happening.  There are many ways to get involved with saving animals. If you go to http://www.worldwidelife.org, there is a lot of information about how to get involved.

I found out that there are approximatly 600,000 African elephants, but only about 30,000 Asian elephants left.  Out of these 30,000, 20% are kept in captivity.  With in only ten years, the number of African elephants dropped from 1.3 million to 600,000. 

"About 8 elephants an hour (70 000/year) were poached during this period." www.elephant.se/are_elephants_endangered_species.php

Through the internet, I found out that if we keep protecting elephants and try to stop the decreasing number, then they will be here throughout the next century.  If we don't do anything, then there is a good chance that our grandkids won't ever be able to see an elephant up close.  We all need to make a fighting effort to protect as many endangered species as possible.  As humans, we have the duty to protect other living things around us.

oh my goodness! This is so

Submitted by jackiegrahamcracker on Thu, 2009-01-15 13:25.

oh my goodness! This is so sad. Elephants are so fun, and now that they're decreasing in number, makes the realization of their endangerment so much more real!

I like your article because

Submitted by Dtan on Tue, 2009-03-10 20:32.

I like your article because it was about saving elephants and I too wish to save my favorite animals the wolves. As you know there is not much left for them elephants and wolves and the WWF is not getting enough funding from anyone to help save the animals. If we all just put in a little money it will help us save the animals from dieing and from losing there home. And we should get rid of poachers and ivory hunters because they will end up killing the animals.