Jimmy's big decision

I created the Scratch animation Ethical Story-Jimmy’s big decision as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which you are able to learn something valuable from it. you’re suppose to learn from the mistakes and choices the character in the story and how they learned to deal with what happens to them based on their action. it should make you realize that there are things that you and others shouldn’t do.

My story is about a boy who on a regular day decides to purchase a cotton candy from a nice looking man operating a sweets truck. the man is running the truck to kidnap small children and he finds it easier to pass off as an innocent man rather than just kidnapping the child in the middle of nowhere, Jimmy however does not know this and has to make the decision of whether or not to trust the man when he asks him if he would like to some free cotton candy. at first he only gives them from the trunk but if the child accepts then he advances and asks them if they would go with him to his house to get some more, if the child makes the wrong decision then they are never heard from again. Jimmy can make the decision of going with the man or not but if he does choose to accept the first free cotton candy then he then has to make the decision of whether or not to go with the man. if he refuses then he can choose to confront the man all by himself or look for adult help.

My story was inspired by The Ass In the Lion’s Skin since the story is about a donkey trying to pass of as a lion by wearing a dead lion’s skin but his bray gives him away revealing what he truly is,a donkey. like the donkey the man is trying to pass of as a nice man but something is bound to give him away which is asking the child to go with him to his house. i also got ideas from real life cases of children being kidnapped for being fooled by a person that seems to be nice and offers them something if they choose to go with the stranger.

I think I was unsuccessful in creating my story because when i had uploaded the game to Scratch everything seemed to work perfectly for both decisions but when i played it for one of the decisions one character either appears to early or not at all and sometimes the characters dissapear from the screen because the coordinates that they go to are different when played than the ones that were assigned in the script.

Nice

16DAlessandroM's picture
Submitted by 16DAlessandroM on Wed, 2012-01-04 14:48.

I liked the animation because it must of took a lot of work to make it.

I noticed that one of parts did not work.

The ethical dilemma in your story is to make the decision of going with the man or not. I did understand the choices and they weren't that tempting.
Good Job

Rather Confused

16rahmanm's picture
Submitted by 16rahmanm on Wed, 2012-01-04 15:06.

I'm confused as to how to proceed, the timing is a bit off and answering the questions is unclear. The background is nice and so are the sprites, but you need to improve your scripts. The ethical decision makes sense though, and happens in real life. Good job.

It was good

Submitted by 17amrinr on Sun, 2012-04-29 17:16.

I liked this animation, but some parts were confusing for example when I wrote something, it didn't work out well such as the yes or no. The timing was also off and for some reason, it did not finish till the end. anyway, I still liked the idea and I learned that believing or trusting some one you do not know is wrong and should not be done.