Excessive Airport Security

by: CListon

One major story this year was the controversy over airport security. The values of national security and personal privacy clashed, and the question of where to draw the line arose this past year. This particular article talks about physical pat downs by airport security, and how many people felt violated. Another controversy was the use of full body scanners that could potentially show more of a person's body than they felt comfortable with. TSA assured people that the machines did not expose private areas, and it was not excessive. But it did open the question of national security vs. personal privacy. The question is still rampant today with continued threats of national security, and the worry that if things became lacked, terrorists would see this as an opportunity to strike once again.

Reference:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2035319_20337...

Connor, This is an

Submitted by Hannah Brodke on Wed, 2012-05-09 16:16.

Connor,

This is an interesting subject. As someone who flies fairly often I am used to the excessive security that everyone must go through at the airport, but I still find aspects of it useless. The liquids rule, allowing people to only bring a single quart size bag of 3 ounce liquids, has no practical purpose and many TSA agents let people by who have more than one bag or two bottles of the same liquid. I know that this rule is supposed to protect us from a certain type of bomb made from liquids, but bombs can be made from many things so we need a better way to root out the harmful materials without putting ridiculous restrictions on the rest of us. I don't see the harm in bringing my water bottle or chocolate milk through security and I don't think that TSA does either. The rule is only followed because it is already put in place which is not the way I want my country run.

Thanks for your post,
Hannah

Could not agree more. I hate

Submitted by Christopher_Ayers on Thu, 2012-05-10 02:04.

Could not agree more. I hate all the rules about taking shoes off and belt, I can't move quickly enough through security. South Park recently had an episode about how violating this feels. I could not agree more.