Exploring with Light and Moods

by: nellb

s

This is a picture that I took of two of my friends. The task given to our class was to take a picture exploring different aspects of lighting and how that lighting can change the mood of a given image. I think this photograph exemplifies perectly how the modd of a picture can be changed by the lighting. For example, the main light in the picture is directied onto Haley, in the forgeround. Haley's mood (even without the sillyness of her face) is shown to be very happy and friendly due to the bright lighting. Mike who is found in the background of this image, has the opposite effect as that of Haley's. Mike's modd on the other hand can be interpreted in a much darker sense. Mike is recieving almost no lighting in this image and his mood is far more somber and dark than Haley's.

I like your picture. But do

GSoukup's picture
Submitted by GSoukup on Wed, 2010-11-17 10:27.

I like your picture. But do you contribute the lighting effects to the flash of your camera or perhaps the lighting from the shadows of the bookshelf? Id like to know what kind of camera you used for this, it looks very clear and very professional. When you said "Mike's mood on the other hand can be interpreted in a much darker sense. Mike is recieving almost no lighting in this image and his mood is far more somber and dark than Haley's." I would think his mood is more somber. HE doesnt look sad or upset, he just looks very very tired. Maybe if you pushed him furtuher into the shadows he would have the persona of anger.

Anyway, i liked the picture, and your friend seems very fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Game