fairness

by: thomas c.

Fairness in my opinion should be treating each other with respect and as a friend. On the other hand terrorists should be tried the same way a robber would be tried. I strongly believe that the world would be a much nicer place to live in if everyone was treated as equals. Still as everyone learns when their young Life isn't fair which is very true life is not fair at all because if it were fair the food chain would completely fall apart. Also as TMGanell pointed out on my youth voices post on fairness that if we treat each other with dignity, kindness and strive to be as fair as we possibly can, we can decrease conflicts and make all people feel accepted and loved. And from the comments on this post Douglas Gosselin said "We live in a world that is filled with violence and discrimination, but despite this I think it's important that we focus on the good in the world, and do what we can to spread happiness and strive for equality." which is so very true and I support his statement because of that. Also I think that if we can prevent more violence and discrimination from happening we can have less worries and two steps closer to having total fairness.

Fairness

Submitted by Mthomsen on Mon, 2015-11-16 13:23.

Hi, I agree with you that all people should be treated with kindness and respect. But I think that this becomes especially important when you don't necessarily like the person. It is impossible to go through life and to like everybody you meet, but all people deserve the same respect and fair treatment.

I completely agree that we

Submitted by Douglas Gosselin on Mon, 2015-11-16 13:25.

I completely agree that we should all strive to treat others equally, and treat others in a kind manner no matter who they are. I think it's our responsibility to attempt to spread ideas of kindness, equality, and peace, not only for ourselves and our community, but for our posterity. We live in a world that is filled with violence and discrimination, but despite this I think it's important that we focus on the good in the world, and do what we can to spread happiness and strive for equality

I agree that we can make the

Submitted by TMGanell on Mon, 2015-11-16 17:43.

I agree that we can make the world a much better place if we treat all people kindly. I don't know if this will make the world 'fair.' We are taught from when we are very young, that "life isn't fair." Nobody is going to have the same opportunities or skills or experiences as others, no matter how much we agree on equal opportunity as a principle. Nothing is ever completely equal. We can strive as a community to decrease the gap, but it can never be entirely and utterly fair. However if we treat each other with dignity, kindness and strive to be as fair as we possibly can, we can decrease conflicts and make all people feel accepted and loved. We can only do so much as individuals. However we can strive to treat others how we would like to be treated and be kind and considerate no matter who the other person is. If we can do our best, we can certainly make the world a much better and happier world for all.

I agree that we can make the

Fairness must be pure of heart, not just action.

lovebugleen's picture
Submitted by lovebugleen on Mon, 2015-11-16 22:11.

Yes, being treated as equals, as you mentioned, is an aspect of fairness. However, the abstract idea of fairness extends beyond simple "treating each other with kindness"; that is the result of fairness, but is not necessary a defining component of fairness. Fairness must be pure of heart, meaning that to be truly fair, it must have a good intention. For example, someone might treat another person with "fairness" just to get a piece of their food, perhaps, which is a selfish motive, hence, not fair, because the person giving up their food is not being treated fairly due to the ill motive of another. Therefore, I strongly adhere to the belief that fairness is conveyed through action, and moreover, intention.

Kindness is Not Fairness

Submitted by TRollman on Sat, 2015-11-21 20:43.

I personally disagree with your definition of fairness. One of your main arguments was that we should treat other equally, and it seems equality, to you, is the basis of fairness. I disagree, because equality often is in disagreement with fairness. Fairness is getting what you deserve from what you have done, and who you are. You see, if we were to take a labor force, and decide whether to pay them fairly or equally, both ways would pay differently. Equally would make sure everyone gets paid the same amount, no matter how hard they work. Being paid fairly would be paying based on how hard you work, where the hardest workers get paid the most, and slackers get paid the least. And as much as I hate to say it, if you look at the economic world, a lot of this is reflected. Those who put in the extra time and effort, educate themselves to the maximum, are usually paid better than those who try to slide out of work, educate themselves to the bare minimum, etc. Kindness disregards fairness. If we treat everyone as our "best friend", as you say, that is disregarding how they deserve we treat them. Should we treat the leaders of ISIS the same way we treat our best friends? If we use kindness as a basis, yes. But if we use fairness as a basis, no. Then they become our enemy.

Again, this is just my opinion, so feel free to believe whatever you would like to believe.

Kindness is Not Fairness

Submitted by TRollman on Sat, 2015-11-21 20:44.

Fairness

Submitted by timhemm98 on Fri, 2015-12-11 13:16.

I agree with this discussion. I think this fairness can be seen in today's world in the treatment of Muslims. There have been terrorist attacks and this has caused a xenophobia by America towards this group. We are not treating this group with fairness. We are discussing making laws to prevent this particular group from coming to America. This is solely based off their religion. This is not fair to them. We are not talking about preventing other groups from coming to America. I also agree with Douglass's quote "We live in a world that is filled with violence and discrimination, but despite this I think it's important that we focus on the good in the world, and do what we can to spread happiness and strive for equality".

Fairness

Submitted by Laney Hall on Wed, 2016-03-09 17:39.

I completley agree with your interpretation of fairness! What harm is caused by trying our best and being a nice person to everyone? None! We need to appreciate that God put has in this world to share him and make a change. Being fair, is being nice despite what conditions try to persuade you to do or what the world wants you to be. Instead though, it is showing equality to everyone out of care and love.