Family comes first

by: evelyns

I was always interested in reading about people’s experience of the holocaust. Although there are a few storytellers due to the remaining people who survived. This story was written by Elie Wiesel, a person who actually was part of the holocaust who explains how was experience. This is unbelievable because barely any human survived. I’m interested in knowing how Elie survived and hopefully by the end of the this book i’ll learn how was it to feel and be in the holocaust. So far from what I been reading it makes me question this book a lot. But as I read more I understand why Elie’s family chose the decision to stay when they had a chance to escape. I like how this author wrote his book he also adds a bit of what happened in the future. It doesn't leave you with the thought of what happened afterwards like how other books do.

The first chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel might leave a reader feeling eager because since this story actually happen it makes you wonder why the author’s family did not react right towards what was going on. They were warned by many people and rejected the opportunity to be alive. If I was to be in their place I would listen but its understandable someone telling you to go away out of nowhere especially because there is no proof would make one think the person is insane. An example of this is on page 6. “Day after day, night after night, he went from one Jewish house to the next, telling his story and that of Tobie, the tailor who begged to die before his sons were killed.” This is touching because it actually happened and in real life. I don't understand why people wouldn't stand up and move out. So many lives would have been saved.

A reader’s question might start on page 20. Where it says “The ghetto was not guarded. One could enter and leave as one pleased. Maria, our former maid, came to see us. Sobbing, she begged us to come with her to her village where she had prepared a safe shelter. My father wouldn't hear of it. He told me and my big sisters. “If you wish I shall stay here with your mother and the little one...” Naturally we refused to be separated. This is important nobody would've suffer and maybe they could have helped others escape. They took their chance of escape for granted. The author seems to be making the point that at that moment saving yourself wasn't much as important as being with your family. I just don't understand why they did not leave at the moment why did they stay what did they hope to get out by staying in ghettos. But the more I read I start to realize that Family comes First. No matter what you going through your family comes first. I understand why Elie never left his dad I would've done the same.

After this part of the book, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because you actually read and learn how people from the holocaust suffered. What's probably going to happen next is that things are going to get worst and the night has just began.