A fantasy-filled lore-riddled universe

by: landayc18
Title page to "Eragon" the book

I have as of yet been reading a fantasy book Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Eragon is part of the Inheritance Cycle, following a poor farm boy (called Eragon!) who finds a dragon egg, hatches a dragon, raises the dragon, bonds with the dragon etc. etc. dragon etc.

The main character inevitably goes on the run from “the man”, the KGB, the secret service- you name it. The mad king in this world very much has an interest in the dragon that Eragon cares over as it is one of the last in the world. The two wind up traipsing around the continent running from the government and it’s agents, before finally settling in and joining a proper rebel force. The novel ends in the aftermath of a large total-war battle with the king’s army against the rebels that ends in a pyrrhic victory for the rebels and a classic cliffhanger to the next novel.

Having read reviews online, and reading the book, I am horribly conflicted. Many have a strong dislike of the series. Maybe it isn’t their cup of tea- not that I expect people to drink tea- I don’t. Personally, I rather like Eragon. If not for the visualizations and construction of a fantasy-filled lore-riddled universe, I feel strongly about this novel. Yes, it probably IS rehashed garbage from Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. But I rather like it. I like the way the world just feels alive, I like how large the landscape is and how little each part is actually revealed. It adds mystery to the universe.

And in the end, that’s what makes or breaks a fantasy novel. Mystery. A novel needs just enough realism to be relatable, but not enough so as to bore the readers. And I feel Eragon does that beautifully. It does it well, and it does it efficiently. It leaves me waiting for more and feeling a little let down that there isn’t any left.

Great book, Great opinion

Nishan18's picture
Submitted by Nishan18 on Fri, 2015-02-13 18:43.

Eragon is my favorite book and it's good to see another person who enjoys it. I know it's gotten a lot of criticism for being to similar, but I agree with you that the author made a great world for this series and he should be given some credit for it I really do hope you continue to read this great series, even if you notice that it's got some criticism.

Enjoyed reading

Submitted by jsphstokes on Tue, 2015-03-03 21:56.

Great post. I love how you tie in elements from the real world with the book. My favorite part of your writing is how you openly acknowledged criticisms of the book you enjoyed, and gave an argument for why we should read it anyway. I did find the series enjoyable as well, for some of the same reasons you explained. I'm not sure if you saw the page listed below, but it has exactly the type of comments you were talking about, so I decided I might as well include it. Anyway, its amusing. Thanks again for the post. Enjoy

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113436.Eragon

Great Book!

Submitted by jdang on Tue, 2015-03-10 11:52.

I have not read the book Eragon. However I have watched the movie! I think I should try reading the book since the movie and the book could have different scenes added or taken away.

You really should read the

landayc18's picture
Submitted by landayc18 on Fri, 2015-03-27 11:34.

You really should read the books because the movie has gotten a lot of bad press for well... being bad. No really, I have watched the movie too and I can tell you it is terrible. It mangles the storyline and in such a way that a sequel movie could not be produced. The imagination of the original writing is also horribly lost in motion pictures. So please, do read Eragon.