Fearing a Journey

by: 16jahani

I created the Scratch animation Fearing a Journey as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that allows you to make the right decisions to lead a path, and at the end you will gain knowledge on what is right and wrong.

My story is about a princess that tries to run away because she is tired of being perfect for everybody. As she tries to run away, a group of monsters come and take her away because she was alone. The whole thing was witnessed by a boy, that even looks up the the princess. He has to decide on whether he wants to go save the princess, knowing that he will face his fears on the way. If he does go on to save the princess all the way, he will be able to be friends with her and maybe live in the castle. If he does’nt want to help her, then he missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime. The right decision will lead the boy to be happy.

My story was inspired by mainly from Aesop’s fables. I knew that most of his stories ended up with the reader learning a moral, so i tried to create on like his. Although my story is completely different from what Aesop would write, it was simple and hopefully did teach the player a moral at the end of the game.

I think I was successful in creating my story because i think that i have met all the requirements in making the story, as well as teaching the player a moral at the end. The whole point of the project was to tech the player something that will stick with them forever, and hopefully i did that. My moral was that if you do go over something little to do something big, it will pay you at the end. I think that the plot of my story did that. I am unsure about if the game is working properly becuase when i uploaded it and took a look at it, the charecters were speaking at the wrong time. But i think that if it is played right, the player will enjoy it.

what I think

16blanksonk's picture
Submitted by 16blanksonk on Wed, 2012-01-04 18:11.

I liked your backgrounds and transitions in the story..
I noticed that you did not put any sound of the character voices, it would have put more character into the story. I also noticed there are not too much dialogue, and that the storyline wasn't too interesting.
The ethical dilemma in your story is quite smart as it says to kids that they should follow what they're heart tells them to do.

What I liked about your story

16roseroa's picture
Submitted by 16roseroa on Thu, 2012-01-05 18:58.

What I liked about your story is the plot. It seems a little unreal about how they boy would go svae the princes, but in my opinion, that makes the story more interesting. I also like the backgrounds put into it. One thing I notice is that at time sthere is a glitch after making the ethical decision. I had to restart the animation. The ethical dilemma was pretty good. However, the choices didn't really have me tempted.
Overall, good job.

I liked the ethical dilemma

16xhuvelie's picture
Submitted by 16xhuvelie on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:53.

I liked the ethical dilemma that you chose. I think it's a good lesson, to follow your heart. The story wasn't that interesting to me. I don't really understand why those bad guys kidnapped the princess, or how the boy was able to save her was she just standing in the cave waiting for him? I think that the plot seems like a good idea, but you could have developed it more. The second choice, to say no, wasn't very tempting I just said yes to kind of keep the animation going. It was a good story but I think if you make a few changes it would be a really good story.

I really liked your story! I

Submitted by 17jalozas on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:35.

I really liked your story! I felt it was interesting and unique, and though it was based on other fables it was still original. I feel that your dilemma was very good because you were able to turn back after already making a decision, so there was really two dilemmas. I thought this was interesting, because it gave you veen more control over the animation.

I liked how you transitioned

Submitted by 17zhuor on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:41.

I liked how you transitioned from one scene to another in the story. Something I haven't seen is how you give choices twice. You can say yes once, but then you get another choice later, so if you regret doing something you can go back on it. That's something I haven't seen until now.

I liked you animation!!

Submitted by 17marukyann on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:53.

I really liked your animation. It was creative and original, but I feel like you should have put more movement and some music in your animation. I also think that the ending should have been more interesting. But overall, the animation was really well made.
The ethical dilemma was understandable. Good job on the animation!!! :)

i liked how you had multiple

Submitted by 17gomezl on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:01.

i liked how you had multiple decisions for the audience members to make

I liked the scary background,

Submitted by 17mahi on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:05.

I liked the scary background, and the sprites looked nice. The ethical dilemma was understandable and not too complicated, which was good.

Liking and Dilemma

Submitted by 17barrenechead on Mon, 2012-04-30 15:43.

What I like about the animation is the variety of dilemmas and problems the main character has. What you can do to make the ethical dilemmas presented is you can change the effect of both dilemmas, because they both have the same effect is you say something else than yes.

Ethical Dilemma

Submitted by 17carusonem on Mon, 2012-04-30 22:18.

I really enjoyed watching this animation. I think that your dilemma was very reasonable, and the two decisions the main character had to wonder about during this dilemma were very relistic as well. They both clearly showed how each would have its advantages and disadvantages. I also thought that the moral of the story fit well with the plot, and was a valuable lesson to learn.