Fixing Our Cops!

by: tngo

The Department of Justice will establish the first certified "implicit bias" training for police officers. The Oakland Police Department will contribute and help make this happen. In the past few years the OPD is has been under a court order to change itself because they are racist to black people.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/SevenDays/archives/2015/04/17/oakland-poli...

Do you think the "implicit bias" training is enough to fix and resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system? Is it at least a step in the right direction?

bacon butterflies

Submitted by JVboxingwrapper on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:33.

i think that it isn't enough just to run them through a program in hopes of successful results and that it may take a more professional ability to cure them of this idea

Maybe, maybe not

Submitted by rquartey on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:39.

Anything that tries to stop the disproportionate racial profiling in Oakland is a step in the right direction. I feel as though it will take much more to effectively change the police force here, but kudos to them for trying something.

I agree with rquartey because

Submitted by tpham on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:47.

I agree with rquartey because this issue is seriously becoming a bigger problem everyday. It is unfair how they target young African Americans. This will be the first step to help solving this problem and it will help tremendously.

i agree with you sir, your

Submitted by eakyeampong on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:09.

i agree with you sir, your such a brilliant scholar. you must teach me your ways of your intelligence. your the son my father never had. your comment is actually better than the actual post. i love you man i love you.

i agree with this person

Submitted by lpablo on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:09.

i agree with this person because that issue is becoming a big problem in Oakland but the police should try their best to solve that issue

Racial profileing

jkordo's picture
Submitted by jkordo on Sun, 2015-04-26 19:36.

Although Oakland may have been targeting, most arrests on African Americans is not because they are black, it is because they broke a law. I do not agree with any bias against African Americans, but you can not say that america as a whole is targeting them.

What do you think we could do

dejohnson's picture
Submitted by dejohnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:46.

What do you think we could do to stop racial profiling in Oakland? Do you have any ideas?

I believe that we should send

Submitted by davalos on Wed, 2015-04-29 12:12.

I believe that we should send the same ethnicity cops to a area like the hood were there more familiar with what is happening and they now how to deal with it.So that's one way we can deal with it or maybe better trained officers.28% percent of the city's population is black while there's only 18% of black cops so there is a really big gap in between and a lot of the cops live out of Oakland.

I agree, it's an ambiguous

Submitted by jle on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:56.

I agree, it's an ambiguous move but it's a step toward the future nevertheless.

I think this training is the

Submitted by jwinston on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:39.

I think this training is the next step to having righteous cops and to stop violent actions toward unarmed African-Americans. They need to stop the implying that all African-Americans are dangerous and savage people.

I agree. They need to stop

Submitted by etuvshinbayar on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:44.

I agree. They need to stop judging African American people as dangerous people but get to know them first or find out their real story first before judging.

I agree. This training

Submitted by belizalderodriguez on Thu, 2015-04-23 17:09.

I agree. This training program should stop all types of discrimination towards African-Americans. I actually know someone who can relate to this. My neighbors are not African-American but their Hispanic, one time they were on their way to church and got stopped but a police officer. When they asked why they were being pulled over, the officer simply said "You looked suspicious and there are took many people in your car". The officer went on to search his car and found nothing. My neighbors were really offended and told the officer that that was really unnecessary and they wanted an apology. The officer then turned around with out another word and let them go with out an apology. This happens to everyone.

It's Something

Submitted by nnguyen on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:40.

It's nice to see steps being made in the criminal justice system in order to fix itself rather than expand itself. Eliminating implicit biases is definitely a tough task to tackle but taking steps toward getting rid of it is massively more preferable than doing nothing at all.

Hey Tony, what do you think

Submitted by jhuynh on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:41.

Hey Tony, what do you think about this? I think implicit bias training might affect our society's problem, possibly helping it, but it might not. We aren't sure at all, but if I had to say something, they would have to take a long time, or if they have a really effective test, then it might be possible that it would fix problems in our criminal justice system.

it's not enough to change

Submitted by jvoong on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:41.

it's not enough to change their thinking but you have to change their personality in a way that it doesn't make them think of others in such a way.

I THINK IT IS GOING TO WORK

Submitted by qorta on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:42.

I THINK IT IS GOING TO WORK AND ITS GOING TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM

Oh interesting

Submitted by totran on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:42.

I notice how u talk about justice i want to be just like u when i grow up.

What do you mean Just like

Submitted by tpham on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:56.

What do you mean Just like him Totran? Please elaborate on that.

Nice Start.

Submitted by ccheung on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:42.

I think that it is indeed a good thing that they are starting to want to solve racial problems, however I think that it will more than that to get rid of it. The direction its going is good, as long as they keep doing it, it'll probably fix it.

It can make a difference

Submitted by rhoang on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:57.

Although racism will never end, it can minimize the issues with the distrust of black people in Oakland. There are going to have innocent black people who are suspected of crime, now going to be rightfully judged because of this new change.

Great Idea ccheung

Submitted by kyu on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:46.

I agree with you that they will also need to do more to fix it. What suggestions or idea do you have to fix these problems?

i think that implicit bias is

Submitted by Dee johnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:43.

i think that implicit bias is something that needs to be taught to police officers in oakland being as though there are so many cases where white people are not put to justice as black people are

This will help prevent racial

Submitted by hnguyen on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:44.

This will help prevent racial problems

I agree

Submitted by sglover on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:44.

I agree

I think that it really is

Submitted by sdoung on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:45.

I think that it really is unfair how they are mainly targeting black people compared to other racial groups for a biased reason. It's nice to see them fixing this issue that's been going on for a while and props to them for making a change.

I agree

Submitted by dadeyeye on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:06.

Sarah I agree with you it pretty biased and Unfair how its only Black people they are talking about.Saying how they are treating this specific race badly. They should handle everyone the same way and make sure that happens before there's even more protests and even more violence starts happening.

Maybe it will, maybe it will not

Submitted by mbalaoing on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:45.

I think that it really depends on how the implicit bias training goes for the officer and how the officer takes the training into their job. I hope that the training would go well in order for at least something to be done about the implicit bias that we have today. >D<

I think it is interesting how

Submitted by bhuynh on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:53.

I think it is interesting how the OPD is trying to actually fix thier problems of their police officer being racially bias rather than just ignoring the problem and let it get worse over time

Good start

Submitted by cbendy on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:47.

I don't believe that just the "implicit bias" training is enough to solve all racial problems the police have with the civilians of Oakland, but I believe that it is however that it is a step in the right direction because at least acknowledging that there is a problem is a step in the right direction, but until something is surely done, then all efforts, and ideas are for nothing

I don't think implicit bias

Submitted by zdavid on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:47.

I don't think implicit bias is enough to resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system. Although it would make small changes on our criminal justice system.

Fixing Our Cops

Submitted by rvinalong on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:48.

No I think implicit bias training is not enough to fix and resolve the racial problem in our criminal justice system because there is 18 percentage of African American are becoming police and the population of African American are 28 percent in total, but the higher rate of ethnicity are African American to lose their job as polices. Many suspect were conducted a search by the civil right lawsuit and most of them were African American which was 39 men in total.

I believe thaty it is a start

dejohnson's picture
Submitted by dejohnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:51.

I believe thaty it is a start in the right ditection and that if the oakland justice system keeps going like this then we will eventually fix the problem we have in oakland 

Equal Justice

dejohnson's picture
Submitted by dejohnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:48.

There should be more officers that are focused on the whole justice then just African Americans.

No, it's not enough.

Submitted by anlu on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:50.

I don't think "implicit training" is enough to fix and resolve the racial issues in our criminal justice system but it is going in the right direction to stop it. We can at least try to change what people think about African-Americans. All African-Americans aren't savages/bad people, people are getting their opinions about them from the news because some black people are committing crimes. And that makes people think that ALL black people are bad people.

I completely agree with you

dejohnson's picture
Submitted by dejohnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:58.

I completely agree with you we not only need to fix the way black people are betrayed but we also have to fix the way we see African Americans as a whole city. It is not just the police that need to make a change but i do not think that people are ready to make that change.

Well Tony, I believe this is

Submitted by aoeun on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:51.

Well Tony, I believe this is probably the right thing to do for the police. They need to know that racial profiling is not a good thing and that they need to change. I know many people who have been racially profiled and they told me it was an unpleasant experience. I believe this is the right step not only for the police, but for the safety of the people and the city of Oakland.

i agree with you

dejohnson's picture
Submitted by dejohnson on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:52.

i agree with you

There has been a lot of

Submitted by jly on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:55.

There has been a lot of unjust deaths in Oakland. Many have died due to racial profiling. This "implicit bias" training can be used in place for other programs that have been tried but haven't gotten the success predicted.

Many people die due to racial

Submitted by jbanegas on Thu, 2015-04-23 16:55.

Many people die due to racial profiling from Oakland police. The idea of the "implicit bias" training can benefit our criminal justice system here and push it in the right direction

I agree with you the upmost.

Submitted by aalejandre on Thu, 2015-04-23 17:05.

I agree with you the upmost. I think that anyone who tries to fix their own problems gets an a-OK from me.

I think that have the OPD is

Submitted by efalcon on Thu, 2015-04-23 17:08.

I think that have the OPD is making others think that their going to change but in reality they are just going to keep on doing what they like to do which is killing African American.In my community there isn't really any discrimination.

Police Justice

Submitted by irodriguez on Thu, 2015-04-23 17:09.

i think police justice is going to remain the same because many significant people don't seem to worry about it or seem to recognize it doesn't affect people and they make a speech that they do but they don't they only do care when the situation gets out of hand and when it comes too may protesters come blocking the road from them to get to their destination

It's true that people makes

Submitted by hxu on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:41.

It's true that people makes assumption on other people by just looking at their race and skin color. The police officers do the same things too, so I believe they should be fixed.

I am THOROUGHLY surprised

Submitted by jto on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:45.

I am THOROUGHLY surprised that they are actually doing this now. They waited until now to provide this training. I think they should have don't this before hand. Prime examples when they had to do this is during the strikes for Oscar or when many would claim that policemen only target black men.

Is it effective?

Submitted by asaefong on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:47.

what makes you think that the OPD has an implicit bias towards others? And if the OPD really is training there cops to change that,how long will it take and will it be effective? From my personal view I don't think this tactic would be effective and that will always be the first thing in in a humans mind which is prejudgment.

I agree with Alvin here. It

Submitted by tinguyen on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:59.

I agree with Alvin here. It is a good thing that they're doing this "Implicit Bias" training, but I don't believe it is going to be much of an effect. Like Alvin said, I think there will always be prejudgment and they will act on it whether they are right or not.

I think that implicit bias

Submitted by bto on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:47.

I think that implicit bias training can help people figure out what they are afraid of. It can also help people to not be so bias towards other people. I think this step is going towards the right direction.

Yes and No

Submitted by nho on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:48.

I do believe that the training will help but I don't think it will solve the problem of racial problems in our criminal justice system.

We need more

Submitted by kyu on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:48.

I feel like this "implicit bias" training isn't enough to fix our cops. It's headed in the right direction to stop racism and all, but you can't tell a person to stop being racist or change their opinion about people. People will always have prejudice thoughts.

I think that anything done to

Submitted by jdang on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:49.

I think that anything done to stop racial problems is a step in the right direction. However, I think that this problem had to take a really long time to be solved, which I don't really understand why. But I guess that it took awhile because no one wanted to stand up for this conflict.

it's great that there are

Submitted by avuong on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:52.

it's great that there are steps being taken to address this serious issue within the OPD. However, I'm a bit iffy about this. The article says "The training will be made available to all California police officers later this year." Which concerns me because I'm wondering why they aren't making this mandatory if they're really trying to change the department? Is this going to just be a face opportunity where although there is this stepping stone opportunity, they don't really follow through with the program?

It's good that "The

Submitted by rnoy on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:52.

It's good that "The Department of Justice" started the "implicit bias" training for officers because it's essential that the officers learn how to treat all races equally. I think the "implicit bias" training is not enough to fix and resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system because if a person really thinks that one race is superior than others, then it will be kind of hard to persuade them and change their minds. It is at least a step in the right direction because it's an effort to try and change things.

racism is to real

Submitted by zstiggs on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:52.

you know police need to start opening their eyes and see crime instead of race especially in oakland its ridiculous this 90 day thing better work or they just need to hire new people

A step in the right direction

Submitted by dsethy on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:52.

I'm glad that the OPD is trying to establish a rule for their officers. I'm a bit curious as to why this "implicit bias training" was never issued until now.

I don't believe that

Submitted by rdouk on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:53.

I don't believe that "Implicit Bias" training will be enough to resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system. This has been an ongoing problem ever since our justice system was established. Racism comes from how you are raised, what you are taught, and your own experiences. No one is born racist. Once you are " Racially biased" when older, it's like a "habit". To break a habit what do people do? Go to rehab, in this case it's the Implicit Bias training. It might give them a better outlook but overall, it will always be apart of them and it is up to them how to judge. " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

The police must speak up

Submitted by druan on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:53.

It's a good thing that "implicit" bias" training is being issued for the police. However, I think one thing that would help greatly is if the police officers spoke up themselves. There must be some police that recognize the racial profiling that's going on and they would be the perfect people to help carry changes in the OPD.

Racism In Oakland:

Submitted by mmezalopez on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:56.

It's good to know the police is taking a step in the right direction. I hope that when they realize their biases, they try to fix them. I don't think there is such a thing as being completely impartial, but race discrimination isn't something that should mix with the law. We trust our government to make good decisions, which is why they are in power but that shouldn't be taken lightly, just like we trust our policemen to protect us, no matter what race or ethnicity.

police

Submitted by xcen on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:57.

i agree, because its very unfair that the police target African American. This would be a good step to start a change. They also need to stop thinking in a mind set that all African American are bad.

To answer your question Tony,

Submitted by amacias on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:57.

To answer your question Tony, I think that the implicit bias training is a step toward solving the problem of police racial arrests and murder of mostly people of color. However, I don't think that the training will help most police officers because of the simple fact of their conviction. Like Friedrich Nietzsche said, "convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." The majority of the police officers that I have met are people of conviction and I don't think that the training might be helpful to them but I do believe that the implicit bias training is a step forward. Not backwards.

Thank you for sharing! And with all respect, Amacias.

I agree Tony with what you're

Submitted by rtran on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:57.

I agree Tony with what you're saying,because the past few years there's been many police brutalities happening and when the police speaks about what happened they'll assume "He was doing that" when really the person they've done brutality to was just standing there minding their own business..

I think implicit bias

Submitted by vdeng on Fri, 2015-04-24 11:59.

I think implicit bias training is at least a step in the right direction to fix and resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system. They should have probably done that earlier though instead of starting to do it now.

Really Interesting

Submitted by gcampos on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:01.

Show me your ways young scholar to be such a remarkable and intelligent human being. Your the sun to my eyes the horizon to mornings and the stars to my sleep a person so beautiful like you, deserves to feel beautiful

I think that implicit bias

Submitted by sle on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:02.

I think that implicit bias training is not enough to fix criminal justice system. It may help, it's a step to a brighter future of non-racial problems. It is a step to the right direction. It can help you become a better person. It may not help as much, but it's still a good idea.

I think that implicit bias

i agree with sle

Submitted by kmotley on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:15.

i agree that this implicit bias training is a step toward fixing the criminal justice system but will not fix it completely.

I beleive that the implicit

Submitted by Dee johnson on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:53.

I beleive that the implicit bias traing for police is a start, but not enough to stop racial prejudice against African Americans. Although it may be a step in the right direction, it is still not a huge step to change racial problems.

I agree with you that not all

Submitted by tbui on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:59.

I agree with you that not all the black people are bad. People should not racist to black people. I think that it really is unfair how they are mainly targeting black people, we need to fix it

Its a nice start for Oakland

Submitted by rcontreras on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:59.

For many years Oakland has had many racist police officers and this seems like a great way to start over and have non-bias officers in Oakland and can help out the city of Oakland

I believe that the implicit

Submitted by adunbar on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:59.

I believe that the implicit bias training for police officers is a start, but not enough to stop racial prejudice towards African Americans. Although it is a small step towards the problem, there is still much to be done to fix the racial problems.

I agree that establishing "

Submitted by qnguyen on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:01.

I agree that establishing " implicit bias " training is a great idea. I'm glad that the OPD are trying to fix this serious issue we have in our society. I hope that this training will helps preventing racial problems in Oakland.

The article helped your point

Submitted by eeverett on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:05.

The article helped your point of view and i also think opd cops are racist and discriminating to black people and should have the idea of implicit bias to the department.

no i dont think the implict

Submitted by ecoleman on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:10.

no i dont think the implict bias training is enough to fix and resolve the racial problems in our criminal justice system.

I agree with you because they

Submitted by sbustamante on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:10.

I agree with you because they need to do something about blaming people about their race gender or whatever they use to suspect or blame someone.

I agree with you because they

I agree with you because they

I agree with you because they

I agree with you because they

cops think all black people

Submitted by aflores on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:12.

cops think all black people are the same but they're really not. Cops are racist against black people.This is a great start for Oakland police to stop racism