Flaws in our educational system (Research Prospectus)

research

Education is a highly valued resource in today’s modern society. It is considered necessary for success in the majority of careers. In order to ensure all students an equal shot at success and meeting high standards in their professional careers, our education system should receive top notch funding and be efficiently designed. Our public schools are not designed to fit needs of a variety of different students. Many different personality traits require different classroom classroom layouts, schedule designs and levels of instruction. There are many kids who have a disability that requires them to learn in a certain way. How can we create an educational system that can accommodate all different learning needs and styles? What are some ways that teachers and scientists can make intention learning environments to suite different needs and disabilities?
I once saw a political comic strip that depicted an elephant, a monkey, a bird, and a giraffe along with a man who represented our educational system. The man was giving the animals a test and instructed them all to climb a tree that was nearby; whoever got to the top would be the winner. This goes to show how unfair and unrealistic our educational system can be. All of these animals have a different strength or talent so it would not make since to perform such a narrow test.

Cypress, I completely agree

Submitted by brookeb on Tue, 2016-03-08 08:33.

Cypress, I completely agree with everything you have mentioned in your piece. It is very well written, too. I have talked to many people and thought a lot about this topic also. It must be challenging to design a way that the needs of all public school students can be met. But there has to be some way, right? Like you said, a solid high school education and even a good college education are necessary to get a good job in the future. It certainly does put kids who need different atmospheres to learn in than the standard classroom at an unfair advantage which I do not agree with. I feel that we have made some strides toward doing this such as allowing kids to take Resource classes when they need extra help. But that is not enough. What else do you think we could change at Okemos High School to benefit the learning needs of all kids more?

I agree that there are many

Submitted by adi_kandula on Tue, 2016-03-15 10:52.

I agree that there are many flaws in the education system.