Foil Characters and Natural Disasters in Their Eyes Were Watching God

by: CFlores

Authors use foil characters to highlight a character’s qualities and actions in a novel. For example, in the Harry Potter series, Malfoy is Harry’s foil character. J.K. Rowling uses Malfoy to convey Harry’s intentions and personality in the book, for purposes of making the reader understand. While Malfoy is less important, obnoxious, a show-off, materialistic and evil, Harry’s contrast shows how important he is throughout the series.  In the novel, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neal Hurston’s use of foil characters highlights Janie in a very interesting manner.  

In Chapters 16, Hurston introduces Mrs. Turner. Basically, Mrs. Turner is racist against her own race and in denial of her racial identity in society. Mrs. Turner, radically, believes that because her features are Caucasian-looking and her skin tone is not dark, then people like her should have a separate racial group in society. Because of this, Mrs. Turner wants Janie to start thinking the same way and change her thoughts about being in love with Tea Cake. Zora Neal Hurston wants readers to understand how Janie and Mrs. Turner differ. On page 162 Hurston describes Mrs. Turner’s physical qualities:

Mrs. Turner was a milky sort of a woman that belonged to child-bed. Her shoulders rounded a little, and she must have been conscious of her pelvis because she kept it stuck out in front of her so she could always see it. Tea Cake made a lot of fun about Mrs. Turner’s shape behind her back. He claimed that she had been shaped up by a cow kicking her from behind. She was an ironing board with things throwed at it. Then that same cow took and stepped in her mouth when she was a baby and left it wide and flat with her chin and nose almost meeting.

The purpose of this description is to make readers understand the physical difference between Janie and Mrs. Turner. Janie was described, earlier in the book, as a gorgeous woman, while Mrs. Turner is probably the most horrific thing in the book aside from Jody in his old age. This is the first sign of Mrs. Turner being the “foil” character in the novel. Later into the chapter, Hurston allows Mrs. Turner and Janie to have a small dialogue that reveals how Mrs. Turner’s thinking makes her a foil character:

“You got mo’ nerve than me. When somebody talked mah husband intuh comin’ down heah tuh open up uh eatin’ place Ah never dreamnt to many different kins uh black folks could colleck in one place. Did Ah never woulda come. Ah ain’t useter ‘ssociatin’ wid black folks. Mah son claims dey draw lightin’.”
They laughed a little and after many of these talks Mrs. Turner said, “Yo’ husband musta had plenty money when y’all got married.”
“Whut make you think dat, Mis’ Turner?”
“Tuh git hold of uh woman lak you. You got mo’ nerve than me. Ah jus’ couldn’t see mahself married to no black man. It’s too many black folks already. We oughta lighten up de race.”

From this dialogue, Hurston shows how differently Mrs. Turner thinks from Janie and her perspective on Janie’s life decisions. Opinions from Mrs. Turner disturbed Janie because she embraced her race and identified herself through it. From the physical and psychological contrasts between Janie and Mrs. Turner, Hurston wants to express how desperate certain African-Americans were in the past in hopes of fitting into society.

Because African-Americans were discriminated against, people like Mrs. Turner found pride in “White” features that they seemed to have. With acceptable “White” features, African-Americans accepted themselves as more than the lowest class in society and hoped the “White” society would accept them in return. On the other hand, African-Americans like Janie with acceptable “White” features, took pride in being African Americans. This group of people did not believed in the acceptance of society, but took matters to their own hands. This brings up another interesting idea in another dialogue between Janie and Mrs. Turner on page 165:

“You oughta meet mah brother. He’s real smart. Got dead straight hair. Dey made him uh delegate tuh de Sunday School Convention and he read uh paper on Booker T. Washington and tore him tuh pieces!”
“Booker T.? He wuz a great big man, wusn’t he?”
“Suposed tuh be. All he ever done was cut de monkey for white folks. So dey pomped him up. But you know whut de ole folks say ‘de higher de monkey climbs de mo’ he sho his behind’ so dat’s de way it wuz wid Booker T. Mah brother hit ‘im every time dey give ‘im chance tuh speak.”

Hurston demonstrates the differences between Janie and Mrs. Turner’s political view as well as education. Booker T. Washington believed that the surest way that African Americans would earn equal societal rights was to show industry along with intelligence. Being that Mrs. Turner was raised in another “racist Caucasian” home, her family believed that African-Americans should not earn equal rights.

Meanwhile, Janie did not pay too much attention to this political climate and lived her life to the fullest because the most important goal she had in mind was Tea Cake’s true love. Without a doubt, Janie was more free-spirited. She lived life without the chains of society or politics. This is why Jody and Janie’s relationship didn’t work. Janie did not want to live a life of lavish lifestyle, figure-head, and full of politics. Janie’s ignorance was her best-friend, which found fondness in the beauty of the simpler things in life. Hence, Janie just wanted happiness without the duller aspects of life.

After Hurston’s informal introduction of Janie’s “foil” character, Tea Cake is enraged about the ideas that Mrs. Turner has to offer. In fact, Tea Cake claims his “property” by hitting Janie. I was dumbfounded, when this happened. Being that I am not an abuse supporter, I just felt that what Tea Cake had done was horrific in terms of today’s social views. I just did not understand what hitting had anything to do with true love. In Chapter 17 page 170:

When Mrs. Turner’s brother came and she brought him over to be introduced, Tea Cake had a brainstorm. Before the week was over he had whipped Janie. Not because her behavior justified his jealousy, but it relieved that awful fear inside him. Being able to whip her reassured him in possession. No brutal beating at all. He just slapper her around a bit to show he was boss. Everybody talked about it next day in the fields. It aroused a sort of envy in both men and women.

After dissecting and critically thinking of the true meaning behind this “possession” actions, I came to the conclusion that Tea Cake wanted to make a statement that no man could get near Janie. With arousing talk and envy, Tea Cake found relief to know that all the men and women were “touched” by his statement. Furthermore, Tea Cake did not just want to claim his property, but he wanted to take action against the “black sheep” of the Everglades.

Mrs. Turner got up off the floor hollering for the police. Look at her place! How come nobody didn’t call the police? Then she found out that one of her hands was all stepped on and her fingers were bleeding pretty peart. Two or three people who were not there during the fracas poked their heads in at the door to sympathize but that made Mrs. Turner madder.

It is clear that if no one called the police, then this was planned. Unfortunately, this is what happens to people, who want to spread radical and misleading ideas to others.

In Chapter 18, everything changes. When lives are in danger and a crisis occurs, people realize who they truly love. Janie's and Tea Cake’s love is tested in a hurricane that destroyed many lives in the process. On page 188, Janie shows how strong her bond is to Tea Cake:

Soon after that Tea Cake felt he couldn’t walk anymore. Not right away. So he stretched long side of the road to rest. Janie spread herself between him and the wind and he closed his eyes and let the tiredness seep out of his limbs. One each side of the fill was a great expanse of water like lakes --- water full of things living and dead...Janie saw it with joy. That was the very thing to cover Tea Cake with. She could lean against it and hold it down. The wind wasn’t quite so bad as it was anyway. The very thing. Poor Tea Cake!

Janie did all she could to protect Tea Cake from any harm in the wind, so he could regain his energy. This was an action of care for all the love that Janie had towards Tea Cake. Hurston even emphasized that Janie felt the winds weren’t very strong, as long as she was protecting Tea Cake. There was another action of how strong Tea Cake and Janie’s bond is in the novel on page 189:

The dog stood up and growled like a lion, stiff-standing hackles, stiff muscles, teeth uncovered as he lashed up his fury for the charge. Tea Cake split he water like an otter, opening his knife as he dived. The dog raced down the backbone of the cow to the attack and Janie screamed and slipped far back on the tail of the cow,just out of the reach of the dog’s angry jaws. He wanted to plunge in after her but dreaded the water, somehow. Tea Cake rose out of the water at the cow’s rump and seized the dog by the neck.

Although over-tired, Tea Cake came to help Janie from the dog. Tea Cake did not care whether he got bitten or not, what mattered to him most was Janie. In the end, Tea Cake’s love for Janie saves her life.

Janie and Tea Cake have gone through a lot in these three chapters, and I can’t wait to read the rest. Their Eyes Were Watching God is a great novel. I just love it.

True lovers are "Partners in Crime!"

agree

Submitted by jtorres on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:36.

I agree with chris response to these chapters i do feel like janie and tea cake are like are partners in crime "Janie did all she could to protect Tea Cake from any harm in the wind, so he could regain his energy. This was an action of care for all the love that Janie had towards Tea Cake". There is basically no doubt in any ones mind that janie will do anything and help in anything that has to do with tea cake but i truely dont think shes in love i think that shes more infatuate with him she seems to not see that hes playing her and dosent treat her like a women suppost to be treated. I think one day she will see it thought and shes probably gunna make him suffer as much as she did.

Mr.Flores

Submitted by jlin on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:44.

Dear Senior Flores,
I have just read your post ,"Their eyes are watching god,"because this is a book the class has to read. It's quite an weird and interesting book. One you wrote that stands out for me is:"Mrs. Turner is racist against her own race and in denial of her racial identity in society." I think this is interesting because I never heard of a African American being racist amongst themselves. If I didn't read this book before and have read your post about Mrs.Turner I would understand what type of person Mrs.Turner is. Another sentence that I am interested in was:"Janie did all she could to protect Tea Cake from any harm in the wind, so he could regain his energy. This was an action of care for all the love that Janie had towards Tea Cake. Hurston even emphasized that Janie felt the winds weren’t very strong, as long as she was protecting Tea Cake." This stood out to me because I believe in this case Janie is in denial. She just loves him too much. If I were her I would just give up on t-cake. T-cake seems too much of a hassle in this book. He plays with Janie too much. Your post does not remind me of something that happens to me, but it seems like it happens to the book called Their Eyes Are Watching God. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post is like a book. I can write a post from reading your post. So it's like reading a book.

I was struck with what you

Submitted by mbalanza on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:46.

I was struck with what you indicated on your post entitled "Foil Characters and Natural Disasters in Their Eyes Were Watching God" because you were able to give an in depth analysis with the characters including the scenario where in they encountered the tragic catastrophe of hurricane.

One sentence that I like was: Hurston even emphasized that Janie felt the winds weren’t very strong, as long as she was protecting Tea Cake. This stood out for me because you were able to analyze the author's motivation of letting the readers know about Janie unconditional love for Tea Cake.

I do agree with what you indicated there that says: "Tea Cake did not care whether he got bitten or not, what mattered to him most was Janie." One reason I say this is that it showed give and take for their love.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward of reading more of your upcoming posts.

Dear Christian, I liked

Submitted by vtse2 on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:46.

Dear Christian,

I liked reading your essay "Foil Disasters and Natural Disasters in Their Eyes were Watching God" because I liked all the points you made. You had interesting ideas that stood out in the essay. One example of a sentence is,

"It is clear that if no one called the police, then this was planned. Unfortunately, this is what happens to people, who want to spread radical and misleading ideas to others." I think this is true and the guys planned this to mess up Mrs. Turner's shop. They don't like the way she acts as if she is better than all of them. Especially Tea Cake, hated Mrs. Turner because she tried to set Janie with another guy she thinks is better than Tea Cake.

Another sentence that I agree with is,

"In Chapter 18, everything changes. When lives are in danger and a crisis occurs, people realize who they truly love. Janie's and Tea Cake’s love is tested in a hurricane that destroyed many lives in the process. On page 188, Janie shows how strong her bond is to Tea Cake."

I really thought that their love wasn't real, maybe just infactuation. I thought this because it kept explaining their problems and not the good things in their relationship. Now when times are really urgent, they show their true affection. Both Tea Cake and Janie are not scared to get hurt for each other. If it means to keep the other one safe, they aren't scared to hurt themselves or put themselves in danger for them. Like most love movies, this is what happens.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next time because even though your posts are really long, they are not boring. They actually keep me wanting to read more. It's really interesting Christian, good job.

Dear Christian I just 

Submitted by bgarcia on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:46.

Dear Christian

I just  finshing reading your post Foil Characters and Natural Disater in Their Eyes Were Watching God.One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is Mrs. Turner is racist against her own race and in denial of her racial identity in society. Mrs. Turner, radically, believes that because her features are Caucasian-looking and her skin tone is not dark, then people like her should have a separate racial group in society.I think Mrs turner is stupid for being in denial because at the end of the day she isnt cauccasin she could think it but she isnt .Thanks for your writing.I look foward to seeing what you write next ,because I enjoy reading what you write.

Speechless.

Submitted by PHuang on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:47.

Dear Christian,

I  just heard you read out loud your post on Their Eyes Are Watching God. I like how you put your thoughts on your paper while at the sametime staying on topic. There are a few argueable areas in your writing but lets not get into that.

The purpose of this description is to make readers understand the physical difference between Janie and Mrs. Turner. Janie was described, earlier in the book, as a gorgeous woman, while Mrs. Turner is probably the most horrific thing in the book aside from Jody in his old age. This is the first sign of Mrs. Turner being the “foil” character in the novel.

I like how you dissect part of a novel to understand it and goin depth with it. I, too, agree that Mrs. Turner is the foil character in this novel. Based on your definition of a foil character from before, Mrs. Turner is the closest to being the exact opposite of Janie.

From what you wrote, are you saying you agree with this action? This confuses me because it might be a action that many people whould put into consideration. These kinds of actions are seen as a very negative action but yet from what you said, it seems like you would agree to these actions.

From what you wrote, you chose a very nice picture to go with it. The picture really brings your words to life. But, maybe you could have chosen a picture that wouldnt have a guy holding a gun but knife instead and no so well dressed.

Thank you for writing, I hope to see your future posts on this book. The reason why I would want to read your posts is because I like how you put your thoughts on paper.

Speechless.

Submitted by PHuang on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:48.

Dear Christian,

I like how you dissect part of a novel to understand it and go in depth with it. I, too, agree that Mrs. Turner is the foil character in this novel. Based on your definition of a foil character from before, Mrs. Turner is the closest to being the exact opposite of Janie.

Dear Christian,    I liked

Submitted by khassan on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:49.

Dear Christian, 

I liked your post. I dunno why, but I liked it. Maybe it has to do woth the way you write, explanation, quote, explanation. Or it could be the way everything else was written out. All I have to say to that is... DERP! Lol now back to seriousness! Something that stood out to me from your post is the compasrison you made with the Harry Potter series and this book. It is ingenious, but a little unorthodox in my personal opinion. I say that because you are making a comparison of two different genres of books, Fiction and mystery/fantasy. It isnt a big thing, but it bothers me a little. The other sentence that sticks out to me is the last line, "true lovers are Partners in Crime!" Well, I think it is self-explanitory for you why this quote sticks out to me, because I don't feel like saying it here.

Dear Christian   Your post

vmcbean's picture
Submitted by vmcbean on Mon, 2011-06-06 08:49.

Dear Christian

Your post about Thier Eyes were watching god shows just how much you enjoy the book. you gave a lot of information about the relationship between janie and tea cake

"From this dialogue, Hurston shows how differently Mrs. Turner thinks from Janie and her perspective on Janie’s life decisions. Opinions from Mrs. Turner disturbed Janie because she embraced her race and identified herself through it. From the physical and psychological contrasts between Janie and Mrs. Turner, Hurston wants to express how desperate certain African-Americans were in the past in hopes of fitting into society."

this paragraph shows the differences on the thought patterns between janie. this stands out to me

Interesting

Submitted by jchow on Mon, 2011-06-06 09:24.

Dear Christian,
I am fascinated with your discussion about foil characters and the way they are used. You gave a great example by relating Harry Potter's Malfoy to Harry. By the length of your post, it shows you did a lot of studying. With the ample amount of quotes you used, it also shows that you have a lot of evidence to support your position on foil characters. I agree with your views on love. When the bond between two people is pushed into an exhilerating situation, it creates an unconcious moment of true love. You know you love someone when you are willing to give your life for him or her without thinking twice.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "True lovers are 'Partners in Crime!'" I think this is absolutley true because in many movies, love is mustered when two people are forced to work together to go against a third party. An example of this can be found in the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith. In the movie, the married assassins work together to protect each other from their respective assassination companies. They eventually begin to love each other unconditionally with one willing to take a bullet for the other.
Another sentence that stands out for me is: "Although over-tired, Tea Cake came to help Janie from the dog. Tea Cake did not care whether he got bitten or not, what mattered to him most was Janie." This is the type of man that most woman want and I think this scene was a great example to use in your post. Although the topic of your post begins with the use of foil characters, it ends with the discussion of love.
Thanks for your writing. I look foward to seeing what you write next, because your discussions are really interesting to read. You provide a lot of information so that someone couldn't possibly disagree with your position. 

Nice Response Christian

Submitted by ctai on Mon, 2011-06-06 09:28.

Dear Christian,

I liked your post, "Foil Characters and Natural Disasters in Their Eyes Were Watching God because of your comparison to Harry Potter. I thought that it was a really good inference of how you compared it to Harry Potter and Malfoy. Malfoy and Harry Potter are two extremely different characters with different morals they want to achieve. Also about the fact that Ms.Turner is racist to her own race. How can you hate your own race in which you were borned to be?

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "From this dialogue, Hurston shows how differently Mrs. Turner thinks from Janie and her perspective on Janie’s life decisions. Opinions from Mrs. Turner disturbed Janie because she embraced her race and identified herself through it. From the physical and psychological contrasts between Janie and Mrs. Turner, Hurston wants to express how desperate certain African-Americans were in the past in hopes of fitting into society." I think this is important because by determining the black race to others, the black race were always on the bottom. Many blacks wanted to fit in the society like everyone else, but they were always usually an outcast. Blacks didn't fit into the society for a really long time and even though they fitted in the society, there wasn't much of a difference.

Another sentence that I liked was: "The dog stood up and growled like a lion, stiff-standing hackles, stiff muscles, teeth uncovered as he lashed up his fury for the charge. Tea Cake split he water like an otter, opening his knife as he dived. The dog raced down the backbone of the cow to the attack and Janie screamed and slipped far back on the tail of the cow,just out of the reach of the dog’s angry jaws. He wanted to plunge in after her but dreaded the water, somehow. Tea Cake rose out of the water at the cow’s rump and seized the dog by the neck." This stood out for me because Tea Cake risked his life just to save Janie even though he didn't care if he got bitten or not. This shows that Tea Cake does care for Janie and that he would sacrafice his life for her.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was being attacked by a dog and I was screaming for help, I didn't know what to do and I thought I was going to get bitten. My friend was trying to help me and we tried to outrun the dog. Unfortunately we did and it was amazing how my friend would risk a life for me as well. That shows that my friend cares about me and that is a true friend. 

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because what you wrote was really meaningful. I never thought that Tea Cake would care about Janie so much. Even though Tea Cake took Janie's money and lied about it, I guess it was for the better good?

OMG

Submitted by Dtan on Mon, 2011-06-06 09:32.

Dear Christian,

Im interested in your post " Foil Character and Narutral Disasters in Their Eyes are Watching God because you compared it with another more well known book. It was an amazing comparison , but not only that you refer to her focus on life and the polictical views which it holds.

One sentence that stands out for me is: " Meanwhile, Janie did not pay too much attention to this political climate and lived her life to the fullest because the most important goal she had in mind was Tea Cake’s true love. Without a doubt, Janie was more free-spirited. She lived life without the chains of society or politics." I think this is impressive because from the book you were able to anaylsis. That is quite impressive anaylsis of the chacter and the focus of the character. I would have not been able to do that until i finish the book so that was an interesting way of discribing.

Another sentence that I like was: " This is why Jody and Janie’s relationship didn’t work. Janie did not want to live a life of lavish lifestyle, figure-head, and full of politics. Janie’s ignorance was her best-friend, which found fondness in the beauty of the simpler things in life. Hence, Janie just wanted happiness without the duller aspects of life." This sentence was very interesting because it was what the author displys. That is an amazing way of putting the two character together and explaining their views on life.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was in college now class and we had to make an profile for our character that we are studying. That require an heavy analysis to our characrter. We had to find many facts and things that we had to add and make their profile.

Thanks for writing. i look forward to seeing what you write next because it was interesting way of putting the character view on life.

Interesting

Submitted by Dtoalongo on Mon, 2011-06-06 15:33.

Dear Christian,

I enjoyed reading your post, “Foil Characters and Natural Disasters in Their Eyes Were Watching God,” because  you are very descriptive and show a lot of evidence to support your responses. I agreed with many things you said throughout the essay.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Basically, Mrs. Turner is racist against her own race and in denial of her racial identity in society. Mrs. Turner, radically, believes that because her features are Caucasian-looking and her skin tone is not dark, then people like her should have a separate racial group in society. Because of this, Mrs. Turner wants Janie to start thinking the same way and change her thoughts about being in love with Tea Cake.” I think this is true because in the book Mrs.Turner is always talking bad about black people even though she is black herself. I think that you are right when you say that she is in denial because she shows that she is embarrassed to be black. She wished she was white because she thinks white people are better.

Another sentence that impacted me was: “Meanwhile, Janie did not pay too much attention to this political climate and lived her life to the fullest because the most important goal she had in mind was Tea Cake’s true love. Without a doubt, Janie was more free-spirited. She lived life without the chains of society or politics. This is why Jody and Janie’s relationship didn’t work. Janie did not want to live a life of lavish lifestyle, figure-head, and full of politics. Janie’s ignorance was her best-friend, which found fondness in the beauty of the simpler things in life. Hence, Janie just wanted happiness without the duller aspects of life.” This stood out for me because you explain very well Janie’s character. I like how you refer to an older chapter in the book to prove your point. I believe that ignorance is good sometimes because then you can live a life where all you see feelings and expressions instead of political nonsenses and society all together. You can focus only on one thing at a time.

Your post reminds me of everything that has been happening recently in our society. Many people have became more racist, sexist and homophobic. People have hurt others because of their race, gender or sexual preference. In some cases there has been dead because of this. It all starts with the influence of one person like Mrs.Turner and that leads to a whole debate which can end up really bad.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing is very motivating and you explain things very well. Hope to see more from you.

Yes!

Submitted by SFootman on Tue, 2011-06-07 23:22.

Dear Chris,
I liked your post " Foil Characters and natural Disasters in their eyes were watching god"  because it clearly explained what a FOIL character is (since i missed a few days of class ><) and it also gave great comparisons of FOIL characters to different books such as Harry Potter.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is “While Malfoy is less important, obnoxious, a show-off, materialistic and evil, Harry’s contrast shows how important he is throughout the series.” I think this is a good comparison, because even though im not updated on the HP series, I know Malfoy, and he does really show the contrast of the two characters.

Another sentence I liked was “In Chapters 16, Hurston introduces Mrs. Turner. Basically, Mrs. Turner is racist against her own race and in denial of her racial identity in society. Mrs. Turner, radically, believes that because her features are Caucasian-looking and her skin tone is not dark, then people like her should have a separate racial group in society.”. This stood out for me because I absolutely hate people like Mrs, Turner who hate ANY race and it kind of “Grinds my gears” when I read about this woman in the story.

Thanks for writing.I look forward to seeing what you write nect because your post are very interesting. :D