Frank and his Dream

by: 16roseroa

I created the Scratch animation Frank and his Dream as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a decision that has something right and wrong with it. An ethical decision is one you make on what you think is right. A story is one in which the character has to make an ethical decision that will affect his/her future.

My story is about a boy named Frank who has a dream of becoming a professional musician. He has an audition to play a gig at a restaurant at 4:00 PM. His best friends Bob and Bibby meet with him 2 hours before the gig. They ask him if he wants to go to a party. Frank knows that if he goes to the party, he won’t make it back to the gig on time. He then has to choose. He chooses yes and ends up having lots of fun with his friends. However, he missed the audition and never became a pro musician. The opposite would happen if he would have said NO to the party.
My story was inspired by a show I watched on T.V. It was about a girl who had a college interview. She was invited to Coney Island by her friend who bribed her by telling her all of the rides were going to free. The girl knew that she would have lots of fun so she went. She cancelled her appointment and went to Coney Island. When she tried to re-schedule an appointment, the college told her they didn’t have any spots available. She ended up NOT going to college.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I met pretty much all of the requirements. My story was appropriate enough to be read by kids up to 13 years old. My story did give credit to all of the people who gave me help. I also provided links to where I got my pictures for backgrounds and sprites. When making the ethical decision, the character did have the option to do one of 2 things. The ending would be completely different depending on the decision. I am not 100% sure if both ending are up to 3 minutes long. One ending may only be 2:50 seconds. Other than that, my story was very successful.

I liked your characters and

16blanksonk's picture
Submitted by 16blanksonk on Wed, 2012-01-04 18:02.

I liked your characters and all their personalities.
I noticed that you did not put any sound of the character voices, it would have put more emotion into the story and made it more interesting. The ethical dilemma in your story was quite interesting and something similar could happen in to a real person. I am sure there have been multiple times when a person parties and forgets about the important things, like their future.

I liked the voice you added I

16dasd's picture
Submitted by 16dasd on Thu, 2012-01-05 19:50.

I liked the voice you added I think I should have added a voice.

I liked how your story told

16jahani's picture
Submitted by 16jahani on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:46.

I liked how your story told us about the choices that people can make under peer pressure. It showed the drastic things that can happen if you go into the wrong path just because someone was making fun of you.
I noticed that at the end of each decision, you put something that ended up happening to the person. I really liked that.
The ethical dilemma in your story was really good and interesting, but mostly i liked it because of how much it could happen to someone. I liked the consequences of the decisions as well because it told us how bad things can turn out just because of one event.

I liked you animation, and I

16xhuvelie's picture
Submitted by 16xhuvelie on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:46.

I liked you animation, and I loved the music at the beginning as a sort of introduction. After Frank was called a loser by his friends and they all left the restaurant there was a pause and I thought to myself "Oh, no! I drove Frank's friends away! What's he going to do?" But then I saw that Frank was actually better off without them in his life. I really liked it, I thought you did a great job. In the beginning I'm not sure if it's Bob or Bibby but one of them says something and the speech bubble doesn't disappear after Frank has started talking. So if you just fixed that little mistake then the story would be even better. Frank's ethical dilemma was to either give in to peer pressure and go to the party with his friends and risk being late to his audition, or to say no to the party and focus on his performance. Going to the party was pretty tempting because I wanted to see if Frank would make it to his audition anyway. Afterward I restarted the video to see what would happen if I had said yes. And at the end when the subtitles pop up, they were going by too fast, and I don't really know what happened.

Nice Background

17medinak's picture
Submitted by 17medinak on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:57.

I liked your background during the scene where Frank goes to the party with his friends. It was really colorful.
I thought the dilemma was really thoughtful. The plot was believable, and also this dilemma could possibly occur in real life.

WHat I liked in the animation

Submitted by 17kuleszaa on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:50.

WHat I liked in the animation is that you present a realistic problem that you must solve, although the dilemma is not very confusing.

What I liked about the dilemma is that you get a very easy and understandable question to answer. Too bad that the answers are kind of predictable.

The thing that i liked most

Submitted by 17tranl on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:00.

The thing that i liked most about your interactive animation was the music. Most of the animations that i had watched didn't have much music which made it boring.
The ethical dilemma that i found was whether they should party or not. I found that it was very tempting to choose both choices and i thought that it was good.

I really like your lesson. It

17bajqinovcil's picture
Submitted by 17bajqinovcil on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:06.

I really like your lesson. It is very true. This happened to many people and now they are very famous people.

I like your animation, and I

Submitted by 17alvareza on Sun, 2012-04-29 17:38.

I like your animation, and I like how it is a realistic dilemma, it could happen to anybody. It seems like a tough decision because it is a situation in which you either have fun now, and suffer the consequences later, or not exactly have fun now, but enjoy later, a situation in which anyone can easily choose the wrong decision to.

It is really good

Submitted by Andres on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:07.

I liked how the choices were really hard to chose because both choices were tempting. Both choices are hard because one was that he would go to the party. I think that a lot of people would go to the party. Then they would think that they would go to the auditions later like his friend promised. 

I think that the ethical dilemma was that he would chose between going to the party and look cool infront of his friends or to get a job or get something done in his life.