Freedom of Choice Act

by: Jillian

Almost everyday, we hear issues that are rising and one that I have been hearing about more and more is the Freedom of Choice Act.  This act states that every woman in America shall have the right to choose to bear a child or to terminate the pregnancy.  It also state that the government cannot interefere with these rights.  I have done some research on the topic and have found some interesting facts about this bill that is currently pending.  I found that all religiously affiliated hospitals will be forced to provide abortions no matter what their stance on the issue is. 

If this happens Bishops vow to close down all Catholic hospitals, more then 30% of all hospitals in the United States .

FactCheck.org: What are the facts on the Freedom of Choice Act?

This is shocking to me.  30% is a very large number and if this bill were to pass, so many people will have no hospital to go to that is convienient.  Many people also put a lot of trust into faith-based hospitals.  I also found that the abortions will be funded by taxes and that parental involvement of any kind will not be necessay.  Right now, abortion is legal in all 50 states.  If this bill passes, the number of abortions is going to rise with and additional 100,000 annually. 

This could result in future amendments that would force women by law to have abortions in certain situations (rape, down syndrome babies, etc) and could even regulate how many children women are allowed to have. The Culture of Death would have had a great triumph.

Through the Freedom of Choice Act, the national government would control the abortion issues and I think that the issue should stay within the state.  There are states that are domiated by certain religions and if they don't believe in abortion, their hospitals have no choice but to provide abortions for those who want them.  That would go against so  much that they believe in.  It is not fair to them.  There is supposed to be a separation of state and church in this country and that would go against it.  There is a conscious law, so hopefully if FOCA is passed, this law would help protect hospitals.

I think that women should have a choice, but only depending on the stage of the pregnancy.  There should be choice if it's early enough in the pregnancy and if the pregnancy is harming the woman.  Otherwise, I think it's wrong to abort any life.  There are some things that I disagree with in the FOCA.  One of my big concerns is the fact that there wouldn't be any parental involvement and that religious hospitals may have to provide serives for abortion.  Perhaps in each state there should be different laws.  In the future, if a woman is so desperate to get an abortion, she can go to a state where they provide it.  I feel that every life is valueble and we need to protect it.   I read a story of a girl named Gianna Jessen.  She is a victim of abortion and survived.  Her story is incredible as are many other.  This is a quote that she quoted.

"Whatever is morally wrong, is not politically correct." Abortion is morally wrong. Our country is shedding the blood of the innocent. America is killing its future.

Survivors of Abortion - Gianna Jenssen.

I agree with her and I hope that we can find an answer to this problem.  I found a website with some facts about women that get abortions.  Here they are.

Who's having abortions (age)? 52% of women obtaining abortions in the U.S. are younger than 25: Women aged 20-24 obtain 32% of all abortions; Teenagers obtain 20% and girls under 15 account for 1.2%.

Who's having abortions (race)? While white women obtain 60% of all abortions, their abortion rate is well below that of minority women. Black women are more than 3 times as likely as white women to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are roughly 2 times as likely.

Who's having abortions (marital status)? 64.4% of all abortions are performed on never-married women; Married women account for 18.4% of all abortions and divorced women obtain 9.4%.

Who's having abortions (religion)? Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".

Who's having abortions (income)? Women with family incomes less than $15,000 obtain 28.7% of all abortions; Women with family incomes between $15,000 and $29,999 obtain 19.5%; Women with family incomes between $30,000 and $59,999 obtain 38.0%; Women with family incomes over $60,000 obtain 13.8%.

Why women have abortions 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

Abortion Statistics