The Garden

by: 20hyatta

This story is about a person who founds the buried head of her best friend, Alice Bradley, buried in her garden. "The Garden", follows through on her adventures to find the murderer. However, after being framed and thrown into prison, how will she escape? Here's the script:

VICTORIA
Love. Death. Betrayal. These ideas mark the murder of Alice Bradley, a young married woman who lived in an old neighborhood in the Atlanta suburbs. She had been my closest friend, and a person who indirectly lead me to my death bed. It all started one day, when I was tending my garden…

(Scene changes to a scene with a flowerbed)

VICTORIA ENTERS STAGE LEFT

VICTORIA
I can’t believe my sunflowers are dead again. It’s the third time this week I’ve found some brown ones...I guess I’ll have to dig them up! … Wait. What is that?

Screen goes black.

(Scene change to white screen)

VICTORIA ENTERS STAGE LEFT

VICTORIA
I had found Alice Bradley’s head. Being one of my closest friends, I hate discussing this point in the crime, yet it is crucial nonetheless. However, to understand the significance of this matter, you must know my neighbors.

My neighbors...well, they are queer to say the least. They would soon all become suspects of the same murder, in which one of them was guilty. First off, there were Mr. and Mrs Mark Bradley, two people who had been wed for about six years. They loved each other, or at least that’s how they wanted others to see it...when night fell, and their blinds were down, you could hear them shouting at each other from the adjoining house (which I lived in). Next, there was Mr.Ashbury, a lawyer who was usually out of town visiting his sister. After, there was Miss Lestrange, who had so many ex boyfriends that all of us have lost count. She was very rich, and very influential in Atlanta. In the other house was Ms.Taylor, a single mother who had two children named Emily and Margaret. Finally, and perhaps the most curious one, was Tim, a horror writer who hated going outside.

For many years we had lived together, on the same old street, in the same old neighborhood. We all shared a special trust, a trust that was put to the test when one of ours had fallen suspiciously.

(Scene changes to House interior)

Victoria and a police man are already there

POLICE
So...you say you’ve encountered a severed head buried in your garden? Do you know where the rest of her body is?

VICTORIA
Aargh, I don’t know, I don’t know! However, it can only be my neighbors. And, honestly, I suspect all of them. All of them are pretty weird.

POLICE
We’ll search all of them.

VICTORIA
Thanks. Please try to get to the bottom of this.

POLICE
Oh, don’t worry. We won’t let this slip.

(Scence changes to black)

TEXT: 2 DAYS LATER

POLICE ENTERS TO STAGE LEFT

VICTORIA
Thank goodness you guys are here! I’ve found some new pieces of evidence while you guys were gone, and--

POLICE
Hands up, Victoria Park. We know you did it, so there’s no point in hiding it.

VICTORIA
What? No...I’m the one who found the buried head!

POLICE
And it was in your garden, Ms.Park. Come with me.

VICTORIA
But…

POLICE
I SAID NOW!

(scene changes to jail)

Victoria is already there.

MISS LESTRANGE
(Enters stage left) Hey there, kiddo! I heard you got arrested for murder.

VICTORIA
Diana! It’s so good to see a friendly face! How’s your new boyfriend?

MISS LESTRANGE
Greg? Oh yeah, I dumped him right before I came here. I have other plans.

VICTORIA
Oh yeah? Like what?

MISS LESTRANGE
Like marrying Mr.Bradley.

VICTORIA
What? How could you betray Alice like that? Right after she dies, you marry her husband?

MISS LESTRANGE
I’ve done worse to her.

VICTORIA
Oh yeah? Like what?

MISS LESTRANGE
I murdered her.

VICTORIA
You WHAT?

MISS LESTRANGE
I murdered her. Mr.Bradley and I have been flirting with each other for quite some time now. We figured out that we had to do away with Alice, to save her the heartbreak. So, I went in the house, sneaked in when she was bathing and choked her in the bathtub. After I washed away all the blood, I cut her up and buried her head in your garden. It was like midnight or so. And then, I took all the remaining pieces of her body and put them in her bureau.

VICTORIA
How could you?

MISS LESTRANGE
Listen, sweetie, I told you it was for her own good.

VICTORIA
No. How could you frame me?

MISS LESTRANGE
Oh. That part was easy. All I had to do was pull a few strings. v.

VICTORIA
Will you kill him later?

MISS LESTRANGE
Of course not! Because I have this town in the palms of my hands, and there isn’t a single thing that you can do about it.

Wednesday School (8:30-9:04): I’m elated that I am ahead of my schedule! I accomplished more than I believe that I could, and therefore am roughly ⅓ or ¼ complete with my project. I think that the hardest thing for me was the title sequence. It was very monotonous to go back to the sprites section to pick out different letters. However, I think the title ended up looking appealing and interesting to the eye. I also had a lot of problems with trying to keep everything constant, and have the sprites end up at the same place when I clicked the green flag. I also am a bit dissapointed that my characters can’t have as many emotions as I want them to have, which makes it very hard to covney what I want to get across to the reader.

Friday School (8:05-9:05) : I changed the neighbors’ descriptions. I changed the description of Mr. and Mrs.Mark Bradley because, first of all, it was too long, and not concise and mysterious enough. Therefore, I changed it to “They loved each other, or at least that’s what they wanted others to believe.” I added the extra description about Mr.Ashbury to give him more character. I also added some more details about Ms.Taylor, Emily, and Margaret, to give them more character as well. I wanted the reader to connect with all of these people, and be engrossed in their stories. I don’t want them to be symbols of murder. I replaced “one of ours” with “one of our own”, because it sounded more dramatic. Also, I changed the policeman to Victoria’s policeman friend, John. They have been friends for many years, but this is why John is not in his police attire. This is also why I changed much of the policeman conversation and created an introduction. However, most of the police conversation remains the same, albeit a bit friendlier. John is no longer a regular police man, but a living, breathing, existing character who has a life outside his job. I think it was important to portray this in the garden. I wanted to portray that symbols of murders: the murderer, the victim, the bystander, the detective...they all have lives, and drives, and motives, and feelings, and guilt, and rage, and things are not always as they seem. Overall, I accomplished a lot today, two acts in total. However, I think the last act, Act 6, is where I will face my hardest challenges. Also, I made the title words disappear, which was monotonous work and took up a lot of my time. However, I honestly think my title looks stunning!!! I did not include the sprites of the neighbors, because I thought it would overpower the scene.

Monday Home (4:02-5:00)
I finally realized I went through nothing to make my title sequence! I could have just added a text sprite, in which I didn’t have to have individual sprites. However, I don’t think I’m going to do it over again. I finished up my Act 4, and now am doing the “2 DAYS LATER” sequence. I was going to use the neon scene, but since you couldn’t see the words because the scene was too dark, I changed it to the sparkle stage. I also changed the dialogue between the police and Victoria into something less formal, to show how she trusted him. I have finished.