Gary and Arthur

I created the Scratch animation Ethical Story: Gary and Arthur as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which a character has to choose to make a good or bad decision. in the story, the decision the person takes is an ethical decision. A ethical story has the character choose on one of the decisions and then the plot changes depending on the decision the character takes.

My story is about a boy named Arthur who is getting bullied by a shark named Gary. The guy Gary is bullying Arthur by saying I am going to eat you. Arthur has to decide whether to tell his parent or not. The Ethical Decision in the story is if he should tell his parents or not. Bullying was a serious matter and Arthur needed t decide whether he should tell his parents or not about bullying. My story was inspired by the people around me and my teachers. They always say bullying is a bad thing and they are always telling people not to bully. I felt that bullying was a serious matter and that maybe I could make something to change the minds of people so I thought about this story.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I thought I was able to send the message I was trying to send to the people. My story was at least 3 minutes long and it had 2 ethical decisions. I made it so that the reader chooses what happens. There are 2 separate plots that happens and it affects the outcome of the story. I didn’t copy any material from anywhere else except the stuff that was in Scratch. I feel the story is appropriate for children below 13 years and that people could watch it.

Your story has potential but

16koutsoulidakiss's picture
Submitted by 16koutsoulidakiss on Wed, 2012-01-04 10:06.

Your story has potential but is a little confusing. The characters do not interact with each other well and the main character does not seem to be right. He is changing into a completely different fish.

your animation

16bashara's picture
Submitted by 16bashara on Wed, 2012-01-04 19:58.

I the sprites you used and the plot of the story.

I noticed that the sprites were sometimes facing the wrong way, so I would advise to just fix that.

The ethical dilemma in your story is very clear. I under stand that bullying is something wrong and that it can lead to consequences. Also if you don't tell an adult about it, it can hurt you physically.

Your Project

16hoques's picture
Submitted by 16hoques on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:26.

I enjoyed way the the animation ended when the fish told his mom about the bulling shark. And that solved his problems.
I confused by how the fish changed in its color and shape into a completely different fish.
The ethical dilemma in your story was clear. I was able to understand the choices and I was able to tell which was the right decision and what was the wrong decision. The mechanism for making choices were clear and I felt that being bad in this animation wasn't worth it so I wasn't tempted.